SOR for myself

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Nov 16, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

I already own five canoes and, no, I'm not unsteady. I've done multi-day canoe trips down the Colorado, Green, Yampa, Gunnison, San Juan, Dirty Devil, Niobrara, Buffalo, Missouri and Platte. Some of these multiple times. I've done four Boundary Waters trips and a canoe trip on Lake Powel (gotta love those house boat wakes). I love canoes and they can do amazing things, but I'd like something a bit bigger and more stable for the solo trips I'm envisioning.

2. river runner

river runner baker

Oh, and the White River. I did a trip down the White River.

3. river runner

river runner baker

Oh, and the Rio Grande on the Texas-Mexico border. How did I forget that one. That was a great trip!

4. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

RR:
    I like to explore mostly rivers/creeks and small lakes which are remote from the area where I live. Have done several areas in CO, TX, NV, FL, IN, MI. The craft are small modified pontoon/float tubes which are compact enough to be transported as regular airline baggage including all day trip supplies and fishing equipment. Some had sections up to class 3 rapids and were on trails so narrow and water so skinny, no other craft can go. Sometimes have to wade/float/walk/power/portage upstream to be aware of dangers (falls, barbed wire, downed trees/impoundments) where information is not available. Anyway, I find that it is sometimes possible to use these in sections of bigger areas similar to what you mention if you don't fight the flow, but never the other way around....

Porta

5. river runner

river runner baker

Are you talking about one of those one-man mini-catarafts that are made for fishing? Some of the bigger ones do look like they'd be great for day trips and overnights. I've thought about getting one a time or two. None of them can really carry enough gear for the extended trips I intend to do when I retire. On that same line of thinking, you can buy real whitewater catarafts from 12 feet to 18 feet. The frames and oars are a lot sturdier and tubes more puncture resistant. They don't pack as small as what you are talking about, but you'd probably feel a lot safer in real whitewater. Something to look into when you are ready to move up. A cataraft is the ultimate self-bailer. Check out the Aire website. Or nrsweb.com. Inflatabel kayaks work pretty well for shorter trips too. Some inflatabel kayaks can do class VI.

6. portacruise

Comments below:

No way to go remote/suitcase pack a cataraft, so you're locked out of side creeks which are often most interesting. My 6' pontoon is self bailing/ dry seat & feet, way more stable than any kayak, even inflatable kayaks.

P.

7. river runner

river runner baker

portacruise:
    I'm impressed if you are even older than me and still doing that stuff. My friend Dave is 80 and still backpacks. I hope I'm still going strong after I retire in a little over eight years.
    It does sound like the little cats are a good option for you, but I'd like to point out that an inflatabe kayak can go places no boat with oars can go. Paddles have a big advantage over oars in tight spaces. As for me, living in Colorado, it's not so far for me to drive to really spectacular canoeing. Moab is about a seven hour drive. The upper Missouri is a bit more of a drive. Took me more than a day. The Nahanni, Copper River, etc. are on my bucket list and a boat I can ship to my destination is probably the way to go. I can't see taking a pontoon fishing boat down the Nahanni. My idea for a hard hull cataraft probably wouldn't work as well as an inflatable. I better start saving. They aren't cheap.

8. portacruise

Sitting position on kayaks with legs straight or bent, even with lumbar support is hard on my back. The length of inflatable kayaks is not conducive to carry when inflated on narrow trails, brush, or rough terrain- so I'd have more deflate/inflate & unpack/pack cycles. Class VI requires skills which take extended dedication to develop, so I gladly portage around. My excursions are meant for relaxing downtime not as the last thrill or my life, as there is enough extreme stimulation elsewhere. That's just me. Nothing wrong with risk taking, so long as it doesn't cost some other unwilling soul something. http://www.4seasonsfly.com/11939/234630/Float-Tubes/Outcast-Discovery-Trekker.html

Porta