Solar Desalinator

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waveless, Aug 22, 2005.

1. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Seawater pump into solar heating black box, and absorb the solar energy. After seawater flow out the black box, the temperature of the seawater is about 35-55 degree. Farther, the seawater flows into the vacuum solar collecting glass tube for heat up. Sunlight is focused to the collecting tube by the transparent plastic condensing lens, the temperature of the sunlight can reach to 200-300 degree, and heat up the temperature of seawater to 70-90 degree.

There are 2 air pump connecting vacuum box and condensation box, the air or steam in the vacuum box is draw out to the condensation box continually. The air pressure in the vacuum box is lower than outside, so the hot seawater is spurted out the insufflation’s head. The mist of hot seawater is turn to vapor immediately.

The hot steam is pumped to condensation box, the energy of hot steam transmit to cold seawater of the black box. Then steam is turned back to fresh water

Attached Files:

• fig1.JPG
      fig1.JPG
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
    • fig2.JPG
      fig2.JPG
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  2. nero

nero Senior Member

Have you built a prototype yet?

3. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Have you thought about salt removal? It would probably build up pretty fast.

4. yipster

yipster designer

regular gas is € 1.45 a liter here now and the most expensive in the world. you make me think of an article about african drinkwater in a newspaper long ago. a half black painted plastic bottle in the sun did the same trick, how exactly i forgot but all africans made it to holland so i guess its not important anymore

5. nero

nero Senior Member

too funny, but ...

not all africans made it to the netherlands. ... quite a few only made it as far as Marseille.

6. waveless

waveless Junior Member

If I have chance, I will go to africa to help them make drinkwater.

If I have chance, I will build a sea station and live there forever.

7. waveless

waveless Junior Member

I do not like to be a slave and also do not like to be a beggar, I am looking for freedom all my life.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Amen to that, waveless.

I like that gadget... simple, effective. Looks like it could even stand a chance of working ;) I'd look at making sure there's an easy way to get the crystallized salt out, and trying to get it as small and cheap as possible. Beats a $4,000 pressure-membrane machine, I think!

9. waveless

waveless Junior Member

the brine is deposited in the bottom of vacuum box, using a long rubber tube connect at the bottom of vacuum box, it will automaticly flow out or use a pump.

10. nero

nero Senior Member

This machine is for land or sea? Hope you are going to build this soon.

11. waveless

waveless Junior Member

The Solar Desalinator system can be used for boats, land, island and sea station etc, it can make to different size for diffrent user.

I think this is the most efficient system, it convert seawater to warm drinkable fresh water, and produce slat. there are only a little energy wasted in the system, 10-20% lost at black box, 5-10% lost at lens. it means the 70% solar energy to be used in the system.

I am looking for money to do this project, but I don't know where to find money, could someone give me a link to find money?

12. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Hi Waveless,

Have you built a working prototype? If not, how much would it cost, do you think?

I have a few ideas of how you could get money for such a project.

By the way the project is also a still which means it is a solar distillation and water purification unit. Lots of call for that all over the world.

This is very similar to the way Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion creates fresh water.

13. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Hello, JonathanCole,

Thank you for the good news, I hope that I can work with you together, I am not a exprienced mechanical design, but I have exprience for electric, computer and software.

I know how to do the project, first buy solar heating black box and vacuum solar collecting glass tube on the market, and most parts can buy on the market very cheap. the only thing we can't buy is the transparent plastic condensing lens. it is not difficulty in technique, ask plastic producer make a metal die by machine tool. I think this is the most costly step, I do not know how much the produrce can make for us.

make box is very simple things. I will send email to you.

waveless

14. nero

nero Senior Member

I would like to help also.

I am in the states at present. Will be flying back to Marseille in a few months. Willing to transport or make parts if you need. I have wood working machinery in both places. Do most of my epoxy work here in the states. Also know some one who welds and works with food grade stainless steel.

15. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Hi nero,

Thank you very much for help, I think this design is a big deal, we need join together, and help each other.

Yesterday Jonathan gives some links about solar Desalinator, and I also made some detail calculations, I have changed my design.

1, seawater change to vapor its cubage will increase 1700 times. It means 1 stere ph water will transform to 1700 stere ph vapor. A air pump (1700stere ph) cost a lot of money, and also need a lot of energy.

So I change the design, I use plastic condensing lens to make high pressure and over heat seawater, and spout to evaporator. Seawater is gently sprayed from spout, in tiny droplets. As the tiny drops of salt water fall downward. Some of the water in the droplets will vaporize; the salt will not vaporize, and will continue with the rest of the drop down the bottom of the evaporator. The pressure in the evaporator is very high, then the vapor will automatically rush out to condenser without air pump, also the high pressure vapor can be use to generate electricity.

After change the design, we not only save two air pump, also have no use for electricity to drive the pump. Opposition, it become a solar electricity generator, also desalinator and salt maker.

I had read the links that confirmed my design is advanced. My plastic condensing lens can make high pressure and overheat seawater. this is the great advantage. Other principle is almost the same.

I can't send email to you, my email is: yanchuan_wu@hotmail.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.