Small sail boat - breaking the rules

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by smilicus, Mar 20, 2014.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Sounds like you want "Annabelle" by Dave Gentry. It does have built in flotation via foam glued to the undersides of the seats and additional flotation can be added in the corners at the transom and under the bow area if desired. The spars fit inside the boat if you use the Standing lug sailplan and so do the oars. It is quite as quick as any other 10 ft boat of similar shape and comes in at about 35-40 lbs all up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with a sprit rig originally, also that stores in the boat.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

So at last I think I can say I have finished testing our Duo. It sails, motors, and rows really well. I'm very pleased. The nesting added a bit of weight and, although not as sophisticated as Russell Brown's nesting method, it works and is very cheap and simple. Only 2 bolts and 4in of aluminum angle, and takes maybe 90 seconds to join together. The aft section does support my weight easily and I would certainly be happy paddling ashore in it with a stern line (see photo on my Duo page)

Premier UK cruising magazine Yachting Monthly recently ran a test on alternative yacht tenders (ie not inflatables). In brief the boats tested included: Walker Bay, Tinker Tramp, Portland Pudgy, Nutshell Pram, Stowaway K2 etc. So a selection of folding, nesting, and rigid boats. They were all tested with a Honda 2.3hp outboard and two crew. The fastest in the test was the Nestaway Pram which did 4.8 knots

In comparison when we tried a Suzuki 2.5hp outboard (so slightly more than the YM 2.3hp) with two people on board we did between 5.1 and 5.3 knots

Sailing Duo is fun, as I had hoped. It is certainly not a "slop along placidly" sort of dinghy. What I need to do now is sail it against similar boats. Unfortunately we will be cruising our Skoota 28 powercat in northern BC during the Port Townsend Pocket Yacht Palooza, being held July 19/20th

http://www.pocketyachters.com/Port_Townsend_Pocket_Yachters/Pocket_Yacht_Palooza.html

so comparisons will have to wait until the PT WBF where there will be two Duos displayed, or rather one at the start of the festival and two by the end

That's enough, I updated the Duo page of my website today with more photos and videos

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index....ats-and-dinghies-/420-duo-10ft-sailrow-dinghy

Thank you

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"The price will be USD1200 after it is built, however if someone wants to buy it right now the price will be USD1000. Obviously the money is refundable if the boat is not in fact built. I feel that is a very good deal, especially if you compare it to similar 10ft rowing boats sold as kits, whereas the Duo will be structurally complete."

"build time. OK, let’s say 20hrs, "

2 sheets of ply, timber strips - say $400. Sails, fittings, paint and epoxy - say $300

So that's $500 for 20 hours build = ~$25 per hour

Sounds like a good deal if you are in Port Townsend at the time.

It would be interesting to get an actual material cost for this exercise, as a guide to further build projects.

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

You left out the design fee, Mr R.
    Midnight oil burnt, gallons of coffee consumed. Pencils and erasers worn to a nubbin. Aspirin and antacids. The reimbursement for investment in professional education is amortized over many designs, but some accrues to this one. So including the hours spent thinking and in design, probably closer to $10 per hour. :)

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Nah - that is offset against future sales. EU25 x 100 in the next 2 years, pretty good return

6. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

If you've got a DIY bent, something like this might be an option http://ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11_Spear.html And it's "parent" design (on the same website) takes apart into 2 halves, which when nested as designed, will fit into the back of an SUV.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.