Small Rowing Craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jonwatson, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

After recently going to my local Regatta, for some strange reason I have decided to build a small rowing craft. I had a design idea in mind, and at first thought the design may be somewhat unique but have now found several similar ideas already available. I haven't been able to find anything exactly the same, but this may be for good reasons, however I am still going to proceed with my idea for the time being at least.

My original brief, so to speak, was a rowing boat similar to the ones used by teams in races such as the Oxford/Cambridge rowing race, that would be suitable for use in open water and more stable. I need the craft to be light enough and small enough to literally, through on the roof of my car and launch easily from the beach. I want to be able to take it out on rougher days, just to have more fun with it.

I will be building this from foam and fibreglass, and this is my first stumbling block, from once trying to build a windsurfing board for a collage project, I was told to make the block of foam myself out of, I think, polyurethane. This was simple enough apart from I was not told to use any type of releasing agent so was unable to get the foam block out of the wooden box I had made as a cast (Science teachers don't know everything). I was then told that using polystyrene would be a better option, however this then changed the type of fibreglass I could use.

So, firstly can anyone suggest what type of foam I should use and what type of fibreglass I can then use with it? I will then probably add questions as I go along.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Jon - it sounds as though a kayak would meet your purpose well - but braced to take 'skiff' rowlocks (set forward - back of your cockpit) instead of paddle power. There are examples over here in Australia which are used in quite heavy surf.
    :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.