Small Craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by PAUL XAVIER, Apr 17, 2014.

1. PAUL XAVIER

PAUL XAVIER Junior Member

Capture.PNG
    This is a small craft I have designed. It may be used for rescue purposes,pleasure or for water sports. Do you gentlemen find any problems in the design? I would be grateful to any suggestions.:)

The lower part is the skirt as in the case of a hovercraft. The handle may be used for acceleration or deceleration .

I also incorporated an automatic stopping mechanism to it . It is like a switch.When a person stands over it the weight of the person pushes it down.
    In any case if the person is thrown out of the vessel the automatic stopper will be released and the vessel ceases its motion.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Size?
    Weight/displacement?
    Propulsion?
    Construction and materials?

Has any analysis been done?

Is there anything besides the illustration?

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Does the operator stand over the forward fan? Do you think that might cause any problems?

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What is going to rescue and from where to do it?. The side propellers prevent it from approaching any shipwreck or floating object.
    Assuming it can rescue someone from the water where pays first aid?, where the castaway take, how it secured from falling into the water again?.
    Anyway, in my opinion. is an object that do not know what can servefor but, of course, not as rescue boat.
    Is it possible to maintain balance in waves of more than 15 cm?. Can he overcome a sea current speed 2.5 knots?. Batteries for an electric motor or an internal combustion engine?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If I was in the water and this pulled up to rescue me, I wouldn't like the idea of my foot or hand being sucked into one of those props.

6. PAUL XAVIER

PAUL XAVIER Junior Member

This is my first design venture. And now I know this is an utter failure
    :( . Thank you for your comments gentlemen :)

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

It seems to me that you would need fans much much larger to keep that off the ground in ground effects.

that means the occupant would have to stand over it, and the large amount of suction it will require to keep it floating on air. Might be better to have the intakes around the perimeter of the platform, but not where one would board the vessel.

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Continue to work on your project Paul. It has some major flaws as shown but with continuing development you might have a useful device. Meanwhile, jet skis have the near shore rescue service pretty well covered.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.