small cargo ship dwt <350

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by amirhosein, Oct 13, 2008.

1. amirhosein

amirhosein Junior Member

Hi.
    I want to design a volume cargo vessel DWT<350t. which hull form is optimum for this purpose? I Googelled different keywords to find similar ship for statistical analysis, but didn't find anything useful.
    plz help me...:D

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Sorry for the stupid question... But WHY would you want to design a cargo vessel if you don't even know where to start from??? :confused:

3. amirhosein

amirhosein Junior Member

maybe I didn't describe what I searched for in google. I searched for similar ships for plotting non-dimensional diagrams for first estimation of main dimensions. but I didn't find anything useful.
    I'm armature in this field, but I want to learn more...

4. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Question is a bit too general. You should describe your goals in more details first - Sort of cargo? (bulk, containers, e.c.t.). Where she will sail? (Coastal, open ocean, protected waters, rivers)? Desired target speed and / or economic fuel consumption? Are there any draft constrains? ….

5. amirhosein

amirhosein Junior Member

the vessel is general cargo ship, about 300 dwt and with the hull material grp. the vessel will sail in coastal waters with maximum distance of 20 km. the desired speed is about 10-12 knots.
    is the grp appropriate for this vessel or steel should be used?

6. Savitsky88

Savitsky88 New Member

hello, you would have to resort to a systematic series, as an example series 60 adapts for cargo ships.

7. dannytoro

dannytoro Junior Member

Well, that is an interesting subject. I wondered that same thing given the history of prior and existing light cargo ship designs. For instance, the Japanese made a number of light "Seatrucks" in that 350 ton or larger designs. There are innumerable Dhows that are rough correlations. My thought is to look at something that could be produced in the many former longliner yards that once dotted the North American coast.

The trick would be a hull design that could be useful. The current state of supply in many outports is lack of ships in that size range in the USA/Canada. Such a ship in my mind, should be able to haul/handle 10 ton blocks, bulk ag products, even stack some 20 foot containers, or Euro-pallets. It should be a sound ship capable of operations within 50 km of shore. Economically cruise at 10 knots, with ability to push up to 14-16 knots tops. Of course we all know the fuel/power penalty there, but it would be invaluable during late season when your rushing to beat the ice.

I'm thinking a displacement hull, and a good heavy, simple front mounted two beam single arm derrick could handle the heavy stuff, with a standard five ton derrick in front of the rear Deckhouse for lighter loads. one hold forward for large bulk goods, a second twin deck served with the rear derrick for smaller general stores.

With a forward hold capable of handling either four twenty foot containers or 150 tons of bulk goods. Another 200 tons of smaller then 5 ton palatalized goods on twin decks. With power by two props through two diesels with an excellent base fuel economy, but room to punch up power when needed. And a nice genset capable of powering 4 reefer containers to serve fish plants.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Danny,

you did notice this thread died a year ago?

And was´nt really worth a comment anyway.

this would do the trick without re-inventing the wheel:
    [​IMG]

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

10. dannytoro

dannytoro Junior Member

Well, that's quite true APEX1. You can acquire an old tub on the market. But even then you must make it jump through all the rings of class and compliance of the place you'll plan on using it. And my thinking was to use local yards and talent. But your right, I should have started a new thread.

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Hire a naval architect and pay for the design.
    You will have no free answer here you can use.
    Read Daiquiri.
    Cheers
    Daniel

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Tonnage and tax laws define the ship's design more than anything.

13. dannytoro

dannytoro Junior Member

Well, the plain facts are, you can still find many rusty tubs for a mere song of their original costs. Mostly small, overpowered fuel hogs, or grossly underpowered rigs that knock about at 8 knots on a good day. Even some older more skilled designs can be had for around 700K. I would not buy any of them without an accomplished surveyor roving stem to stern first though. I saw a nice old Ice classed ship with a glorious looking old Lister-Petter , everything long out of date, most of the other gear, extremely dated. They only wanted 120K for that one.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

The one above is 150k$ and has a working B&W engine, a 20 tons derrick, and is back in class for another 50k$, so whats the prob?

15. dannytoro

dannytoro Junior Member

That's a nice little boat, but they hacked up the hold space with a shop.