small boat fundamentals

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nichola89, Mar 25, 2014.

1. nichola89

nichola89 New Member

hello, im from mechanical engieering, i want to ask how to find
    a. center of gravity
    b. center of boyancy
    c. draft boat

example of boat is this:
    [​IMG]
    after that i want to experiment if i put 1,2,3,4 person in the boat, that boat sinking or not...

any reference article/pdf for small boat?

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The center of gravity of a boat can be found by several different methods, including inclining tests in the water, inclining tests on land, and calculations using the weight and center of gravity of the individual components of the boat.

Buoyancy is a vertical force which passes through the centroid of the submerged volume. The centroid of the submerged volume is called the center of buoyancy.

The magnitude of the buoyancy equals the weight of the water displace by the boat, which is equal to the submerged volume of the boat multiplied by the density of the water. If the boat is floating and stationary the buoyancy will equal the weight of the boat. Therefore the weight of the water displaced by the boat will equal the weight of the boat. The draft is will be the deepest part of the submerged volume.

Perhaps someone else knows of a good online reference with more information.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Even having all this information, it is important to heed the words of the old song.........
    "So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
    Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

To rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    Rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
    Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    Rock the boat-t-t-t-t"

:D

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I think the reference will be lost... I don't think old 70's disco from the US is going to strike any familiar chords in Indonesia

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.