Small boat for creek fishing wanted

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by The Rooster, Nov 20, 2013.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All boats equipped with a trolling motor and a stock prop will do that speed. It's a function of the prop shape, size and pitch, not the motor.

If you have a low power hull design, it doesn't use much power to move it, regardless of the propulsion type. The boat pictured is a high power set of shapes, which simply means it will eat through a battery charge much quicker, so you will not have nearly as much range.

The wheel thingie on the transom is a not all that uncommon, though consider having them swing up when in the water. The drag of a set of wheels will shave off a fair bit of speed and eat into battery duration. When you need them, just flip them down and haul her out.

2. GaryBriggs

GaryBriggs Junior Member

Par- Well thank you for not "insulting" my "creation". It does "exactly" what it was "intended" to do. Which is use "gravity" and "current" to float down the river. Out here in California I have the "advantage" of being very close to "3 or 4" rivers where "float trips" are very popular in the summer time. "Performance" wasnt a "concern", just price. I wanted to see how cheap I could build it.

3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Rooster:

I also enjoy creeks and small rivers, but using an inflatable pontoon. It's not for everyone, but it works better for me than anything else. This type, but another older brand: http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2012catalog/page4.html

Anybody know if a GPS is accurate at low speeds on water? I thought it works by dividing distance by time instantaneously to get the display. Seems like wind, current and tracking would all affect this. For example, if you are just holding position against a creek current by running your troll at 2 mph, wouldn't the GPS read 0 mph?

I like flip down/up wheels for heavier boats. High floatation balloon tires handle just about any terrain and are not limited to boat ramps. Here is a source of the balloon tires: http://www.wheeleez.com/boat-dolly-comparison.php

Hope this helps,

Porta

4. The Rooster

The Rooster Junior Member

I considered an inflatable, either a pontoon or just a raft. But where I fish, sometimes there are lots of snags and sharp objects that I fear might punch a hole in the inflatable. And knowing me, I'd sink a hook in it and then I wouldn't have to worry about hitting a snag.

5. GaryBriggs

GaryBriggs Junior Member

I have an inflatable called an Intex Mariner that does real well on the rivers.

6. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

The kind of material made for whitewater rafting has a slick surface that is hard to get purchase on, or even penetrate even with a hook point. Those boats go where nothing rigid would survive.

Boarding is like sliding into an easy chair and just as comfortable for the whole trip. Very stable and the true separate pontoon type are fast for working in toward rapids against the current. Portaging is a matter of dragging over shallow rapids, or easy to carry if too rocky..

FWIW,

Porta

7. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

8. The Rooster

That link just took me to a page decribing the characteristics of fluids. I didn't see any boat plans.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

10. The Rooster

I've already seen those boat plans. You have to pay for them. Some other members sent me some links to free plans though.

My creeks are Tygart Creek in Greenup County, Kentucky, and Blaine Creek in Lawrence County Kentucky. Tygart has smallmouth bass and Muskie, Blaine has largemouth and spotted bass.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Thanks. I lived near Miller's Creek, Daniel's Creek, John's Creek and Paint Creek when I was a child.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.