Sixteenth Chesapeake Sailing Yacht Symposium

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dishsail, Mar 23, 2003.

1. dishsail

dishsail Junior Member

This was my very first symposium and I found most of the information to be over my head because I haven't read a great deal of information on the subject of yacht design or naval architecture. As a new person I didn't feel that comfortable talking to people, but I did so anyways. Everyone I talked to I asked two questions: 1. What type of education would you suggest a student such as myself who has an education in Mathematics, Computer Science, & Statistics, who would like to get involved in designing boats? 2. Since I don't expect to get back to school for a few years, what books or articles would you suggedst I read?

I got a variety of answers, but quite a few said that The Landing School or Westlawn Institute wouldn't get me that far because they aren't technical enough. Most of them suggested I should attend a school with naval architecture such as U. of Michigan or U. of New Orleans. However, there were two people, Mr. Olin Stephens and Mr. Robert Miller who suggest that the Landing School has a high reputation and that would be a starting point for me.

I am looking to get your thoughts on these two questions. Thanks.

Joseph

2. edneu

edneu Junior Member

If you can be a resident student, they are several universities which can provide you with a technical education in naval architecture. If your primary interest is in yachts rather than ships or commercial craft and you have an engineering background, and you want to do distance learning Westlawn or prehaps YDS will give you much of the yacht specific information you require.

The other approach is to read some yacht design books which would probably give you the background you require to understand what was going on at the the symposium you attended.

I assume you are interested in sailboats so here are some basic books to get you going.

You might start with Principles of Yacht Design by Lars Larsson, Rolf E. Eliasson, which a is fairly modern and techncial approach to the basics. You can also try the more classic Elements of Yacht Design by Norman L. Skene.

A couple of other valuable books are Seaworthiness : The Forgotten Factor by Czeslaw A. Marchaj, Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of the Offshore Yachts
    by John Rousmaniere (Editor).

Hope this helps

3. dishsail

dishsail Junior Member

I don't know if I want to design commercial or luxury boats. As I only understand the basic aspects of a yacht designer and nothing about a naval archtect, then I really can't say what I would like to do. I do have a B.s. in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Statistics. I do understand that the University of Michigan has a very good plan for naval architecture. I also understand that the Landing School has a very good program for yacht design. I don't know which one I want to do, but I do know that I want to study boat design and building of boats, but I don't know if I want to study yacht design or naval architecture. And also how if I studied one and decided that the other one is better for me which is better to study now. Would like your thoughts. Thanks.

Joseph:)

4. edneu

edneu Junior Member

Commercial Ships or Yachts

I think to decide between yacht design and commercial vessel design you need to see where your passion lies. Although tastes certianlly differ, most of the yacht design practictioners and enthusiasts have a passion for yachts, they swoon at a graceful sheer, a nicely curved buttock, that sort of thing. They love pleasure boats whether power or sail.

I would imagine that many of the systems aboard commercial vessels are interesting and there can be a great satisfaction in designing such vessels. I would imagine also commercial vessel work is more lucrative.

So what kind of vessels do you like? The question is really what kind of vessels float your boat (sorry).

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

This repeats what I've said in other places.... please forgive my redundancy.

My suggestion is to study aeronautical engineering if you're interested in yacht design, then go to Southamton Institute in England or St. Johns in Nova Scotia (associated with IMD), or Michigan or MIT (under Prof. Jerry Milgram). Aeronautical is a better fallback than ship naval architecture. Virginia Tech has a program that combines aeronautical & ocean engineering. In the SE there's New Orleans, and also related programs at Florida Tech (FIT) and Florida Atlantic University (FAU, dept of Ocean Engineering).

This is coming from a Landing School grad with a family. The Landing School is a great 1 year introduction, but if you're serious about making yacht design your career get further education if you can. Plan on taking the EIT exam as soon as you get a B.E. or equiv degree, and the PE exam two years later.

For more info you might want to browse the "Education" category in these forums.

6. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Webb Institute on Long Island and Steven's Institute in New Jersey (ask for the Davidson Hydrodynamics Lab) are also worth checking out. Stevens treats Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering as a branch of Civil Engineering.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.