Simple (but complicated) Foam/Glass Panel Question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Nov 25, 2011.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Read down... in red

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

3. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

My designer said thicker is better, but my decks will only have a 5/8s core as called for in the plans. I will stiffen them up though by adding stringers and extra glass ( S-2) a much lighter option than adding another layer of foam. I might even use kevlar tape on the stringers as they will be in compression. You saved the money on case price, adjust your design a bit and retain the dollar savings. Rick

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yeah, you must be right. I was just going by
    and ''46 CFR subchapter T table 175.05-1(a)'', where under ''Classes of vessels examined or inspected under various Coast Guard regulations'' in the "Method of propulsion-Sail" column it says "All vessels carrying more than 6 passengers" (which I guess isn't you, but notice it doesn't mention "for hire") and "All vessels carrying passengers for hire." That last is what I thought might apply but I guess not. My manual is a revised 1988 edition so it's probably outdated which is a good thing because later on they're talking about fire resistant resins and who knows what else.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

US federal law and USCG regulations implementing the law can be difficult to follow, and it's very easy to make a mistake by going to a particular section without first understanding if that section applies to the vessel in question.

In the US uninspected vessels can carry up to 6 passengers for hire if they are less than a certain tonnage rating (not displacment) and 12 passengers if they are over. Uninspected does not mean the USCG will never examine the vessel and that no regulations apply. Various regulations regarding lights, safety equipment, mechanical and electrical systems, etc do apply and may be checked. But the rigourous requirements for inspected vessels on hull strength, stability, materials, etc do not have to be meet. In fact an uninspected vessel can carry passengers even if no plans or specifications ever existed for the boat.

USCG does check on builders of uninspected vessels for conformance with the regulations regarding lights, safety equipment, mechanical and electrical systems, etc as well as the capacity label and floatation requirments which apply to certain recreational boats under 20 feet in length. My understanding is this work is done by contractors.

7. CatBuilder

Only one question: How many charters have any of you done since 2005?

Please list the number in your response, so I know how seriously to take your post.

Thank you.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The USCG typically doesn't get involved at this level, leaving it up to the states, which typically employ their "Fish and Wildlife" or "Harbor Patrol", officers, sometimes just the local sheriff, for this type of inspection. In the vast majority of cases the officer comes out, looks over the vessel very quickly, accessing if it's a freshly built boat or not. Mostly they're looking for a few things: is it a real new build or is someone trying to hide a previous build with a rebuild or repairs or an altered theft, to get a new HIN. They are also looking to insure the paper work is correctly filed, by providing a a form, which is then submitted to the regulating agency (often DMV) for title and registration, which also are treated separately (typically a tax collector for the registration and the DMV for the title).

1 person likes this.
  9. CatBuilder

FINALLY. Someone who knows what they are talking about. +1 +1 +1

Thanks for injecting some reality into the thread, PAR. :cool:

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Are you asking me?

11. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Sounds like PAR is talking about what the USCG sometimes calls "backyard boatbuilders", folks who build one or two small boats a years and don't have their own Manufactuers Identification Code which is used in the Hull Identification Number. Instead they use a HIN issued by their state agency which starts with the letter Z.

My understanding is the USCG has a set of contract employees who try to periodically visit all active builders who have their own MICs. They do not inspect every boat which is built. A description of the program can be found here and here. The latter includes the following about responsibility for meeting USCG standards for recreational boats:

Manufacturers of recreational boats are required to self certify
    compliance with applicable U.S. Coast Guard
    safety standards.

The credibility of that certification process is maintained,
    in part, by means of:
    · visits to domestic boat manufacturing plants to educate
    boat builders,
    · the authority to assess penalties against boat
    builders who are willfully non-compliant.

The Coast Guard neither inspects nor approves the
    plans or designs of recreational boats. Instead, the manufacturer
    or importer is required to certify that each of
    its boats complies with federal safety standards. The
    Coast Guard does not require any specific procedures
    to determine compliance, so the manufacturer may employ
    a third-party certification service, use an independent
    laboratory, or use the company’s in-house
    technical staff.

12. hoytedow

I'll go back to 1970. Zero. :)

13. CatBuilder

I'm asking anyone who is going to hassle me about my business, which has been in operation since 2005, doing charters on uninspected vessels.

Further, one of my charter boats was built in the UK.

How did I ever get it to charter in the USA? :confused::eek:

I just don't need this kind of "help" on a thread where I asked what people thought about core thickness on a bridgedeck panel.

I'm not some jonny come lately building a boat in my back yard with the dream of chartering one day. I currently own a corporation in the marine industry, in existence since 2005, which provides charters to guests on uninspected vessels and has been doing so since then. (with a break to build our newest charter boat) I'm pretty sure I understand my business by now. I also hold a 100T master cred, STCW-95, sailing endorsement, etc... etc...

In short, I'm a professional mariner. I don't need people guessing at the law and trying to beat me over the head with their guesses.

So, please limit posts on this thread that regard chartering regulations on uninspected vessels to people who have more than zero charters under their belts, or at least own a marine company that provides charters.

That's why I'm saying anyone posting antagonistic comments here should also post, in their comment, the number of charters they have done since 2005 (the year my company opened).

Thank you.

14. hoytedow

None of my posts were meant to be antagonistic, and I hope you didn't take them that way.

15. CatBuilder

I know, Hoyt. I just wanted to make it clear, in general. :)

BTW: Use that stool every day. Thank you again for that. It not only makes a good place for taking a break, but it's fantastic for reaching high places when you don't want to set up a ladder. It's that sturdy.