Shanty boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by WetPlateShanty, Mar 18, 2014.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Why not buy some 5x10 plywood? I would still be to narrow, but better.

2. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Get chickens that are both pretty and atypical of whatever area you're in, that way you just aren't "keeping chickens" in the eyes of your neighbors ... there sometimes being a thin, decorative line between acceptably eccentric and unwanted, IMO.

The silkie or polish types can be rather striking. I also like the d'uccle or brahma.

Besides, these are beautiful birds.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Or perhaps you might have a look at the photos I posted on this subject thread about floating accommodations.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/retirement-houseboat-floating-home-23987-11.html#post679692

I have a lot more info coming on that subject thread, including some smaller units, and some pretty simple construction methods.

You might even power your vessel with an external tow craft like I just posted here...pretty innovatively built from old truck parts and simple steel hull.
    Small Steel Tow Boats from Thailand

5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Why does anyone think there are no diesels in north america?
    There are all kinds, all over the place! New, used, rebuilt....

There are kubota's from 13 hp up to 100 hp or so
    There are isuzu from 30 hp and higher
    Anyways it should be no problem finding one.

For a boat like this, why even marinize? Just bolt the paddle wheel to the thing, and mount the engine outdoors on the back, and use an automotive transmission to drive a sprocket and chain to the paddle wheel. I think there is a grade of grease to keep the water off the chain.

There is a few videos on youtube of a guy that build a large houseboat, like 2 story 80 ft long or something, very large. It looks really classy and nice, and propulsion was a school bus motor (v8 detroit) with the transmission still on it from the bus, driving a big paddle.

I know everyone hates paddles, but the look might actually help out aesthetically, plus the real only drawback is the efficiency, and were not talking propellers being way better, paddle wheels come close, with the main draw backs being how far in the water it sits, and rough water isn't really good for a paddle wheel.

If the boat is going to be used only in calm water, I'd just avoid any expensive marinized stuff altogether, just buy a small 2-4 cyl diesel with automotive trans, and use a paddle wheel. Sure, a proper inboard diesel with matched propeller will get better fuel economy, but it will also cost 5x as much.

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I wouldn't say "everyone". ;)

Edit: btw, I came across this pocketbook of rules that has useful information for sizing both feathering and fixed float wheels: http://books.google.com/books/about/Seaton_Rounthwaite_s_pocket_book_of_mari.html?id=Fl8OAAAAYAAJ

Once in full view mode you can download the handbook in PDF form by using the PDF option on the pull down menu.

The later 1922 book uses a different formula that, while still using a mystical modifier for sizing floats not even remotely explained, doesn't try to take into account variables that the 1894 book's equations did. Also, these are different: for the earlier one, the one I link to, uses a modifier based on the kind of waters to be sailed the later just throws some numbers out there and mentions that they vary ...

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Because Westfield said so :)

On one of my other posts, I came across two catamarans that bought their diesels from Australia, of all places.

There has to be something really wrong when you get a better deal from across the Pacific

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Funny, I buy my sheet winches from the USA....

PDW

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I rest my case :D

But are they DIESEL winches ?

10. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Not at the moment but given the number of marine diesel engines I have in the shed, it's always possible....

PDW

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

For the finest in USA small diesels the place to find them is the local Big Truck reefer shop.

These engines are installed to operate the refrigeration as trucks move refrigerated items from coast to coast.

They require NO attention from the driver , so are fitted with very oversized oil pans.Usually run 24/7 for 8 -9 days.

Used usually you can get 3 for $1000 , yanmar , kubota , in operating condition.

ALL Will need a thrust bearing , and perhaps a transmission depending on the boats operator.

Building a muffled dry stack , and pipe keel cooler , they could be a low cost option.

Boats used to SAIL up to moorings and to a dock , so a diesel with FWD or OFF (no clutch or reverse)shouldnt be anywhere near the excitement.

Low cost cruising at its best!!

2 people like this.
  12. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I concur.

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No they didnt.

There have always been tugs for commercial sailing boats, and motors or oars for smaller craft.

I cant remember seeing many sailing boats much over 18 foot sail to a dock - because its such a fraught operation.

Between sudden gusts, lulls from wind shadows, tide, waves , other boats or placement concrete jetties with awkward bollards etc - you don't purposely sail to a dock if you value your boat, or want to waste a weekend on the hardstand repairing paintwork.

One exception I can recall was an intrepid Etchell skipper who disdained firing up the little outboard on his stern for leaving or returning to the mooring platform, no matter what the wind conditions. He could zoom up beside the pontoon, do a 360 in the boats own length into the wind, and pull up head to wind, sails luffing, ending up a foot out from from the rubber edge strip - very smart.

Then one day .... I saw him being toweled off on the jetty while a few kind souls were tying up his boat. One inexperienced crew member, a misstep, a missed mooring rope - and he was fending off the shiny white hull from the jagged stone seawall with his own body.

Who needs the drama !

14. Petros

Petros Senior Member

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

This version has a bit more description in it

It was so funny I watched it over and over again :p

Attached Files:

• Fail.jpg
      Fail.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.