Shanty boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by WetPlateShanty, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Swampmonster

Swampmonster heat it and beat it

Sounds like a fun cruise.
    As stated earlier by another poster,I would scrap the paddle for MANY reasons..cool factor = 10...efficiency factor = 0.

I would definately stick with an outboard (numerous reasons)and also a smaller kicker motor incase of probs with the main power..I know the Ohio and Mississippi well and would NOT want to be in barge traffic in a rig like you are building and be dead in the water.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Consider the Yamaha 9.9, four stroke outboard. The one that is purpose built for barges and slow moving boats. It has a tractor like low gear ratio, big prop, and is well suited for its assigned work. Reliable and economical to operate too.

There may be other brands similarly aimed at work boat use. I have only seen the Yamaha at work. It is impressively efficient. When you are done with it you can sell it more easily than you could a diesel paddlewheel rig.

3. MoePorter

MoePorter Junior Member

"Yamaha 9.9, four stroke outboard" I agree would be the best power choice - they have a bit of 12 v charging capacity but use that roof for solar charging if you need a fridge but keep your electrical needs as minimal as possible.

Any of the aircooled diesels would be really loud - as would any cheap generator - even a nice quiet Honda gen set would be an obvious sound intrusion on such a small craft. I'd think lack of quiet would defeat the whole purpose of the adventure. The paddlewheels are a terrible idea - I mean just terrible...

Keep the beam under 10 ft & go longer to get your space. Let the beam be determined by your local transport laws & available gear - being able to winch the thing on to a rented car trailer & move it "easily" would make it possible to sell...

BUT... on to the most important thing - Chickens! Absolutely doable & not the least bit cruel to the chickens...as long as they have the run of the decks & hopefully the roof. They would have a blast! So much to talk to each other about! Everyday an adventure! Get a rooster so you get up for the sunrise - also if you like hawks the chickens will alert you in no uncertain terms. Actually they would be excellent alarms for any new thing that comes into view. They would need cleaning up after but there's that river! They are great company IF YOU LIKE CHICKENS...just keep in mind they never really shut up except at night...Moe

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I third those remarks - inboard diesel maybe, paddlewheels, decoration and a lot of trouble only,

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Heard everything now, a boat with it's own poultry farm. Don't forget to have a patch of grass, they like some green pick. Chickens do like eating fish though, I recall the best eggs I ever ate were from fowls that had been fed a lot of a small fish called a "hardyhead", the flavour was sensational, and the shells were almost unbreakable !

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

There's a mail order company in the US that sells cheap tools,equipment and sorts of stuff like that,and occasionally they get diesels in.
    Usually advertised in magazines (Pop. Mechanics,etc)

Name escapes me right now... or hit up eBay and you can also search all of Craigslist.

7. Harley1

Harley1 New Member

Sounds interesting. Did a little bit of research on shanty boats - if you think it's worth doing, go for it! But, like Westfield said, it would probably be a good idea to not skimp on the money when you're buying materials, if you want it to last. Keep us updated!

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

would that be Harbor Freight tools?

http://www.harborfreight.com/#

9. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Ah yes Petros that's it.
    They had 5hp Kubotas a couple years ago I was eyeing up,but freight/customs etc to Can. would have been too much.

10. Petros

Petros Senior Member

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Anyone who makes a major expendature of money for a Chinese product does so at
    their OWN RISK. The items I've considered buying in the past have turned out to be junk. I've been burned on a few small things so i'm anti Chinese products. Please never buy food from them their milk has killed 1,000s of their own people and dog food had killed 1,000s of our pets. Poison sheetrock, SS steel that is not are just more examples. My 2 bits.....BEWARE

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I would second and third that.

However, I find it hard to believe that a clever country like the US cant marinize some decently supported diesels like we do in Aus.

Its not rocket science, any competent diesel mechanic can install and service them easily.

13. Petros

Petros Senior Member

the problem is we in the USA do not have very many small diesels, they are not popular in cars here, only trucks and tractors. there are some VW rabbit diesels around from the 70's and 80's, but they are not that common and they are big bucks on the after market for used ones becasue of it (and I am not sure it is such a good choice for a boat). Next up is Mercedes Diesels (not inexpensive) and a few 4 cyl.older import truck engines, and than large 6 and V-8 diesels are fairly common.

there are some smaller tractor engines for Kubotos and a few other import Japanese tractors and fork lifts, but these are not as common and not cheap at all. hence the reason gasoline engines are more common in boats here, or low production specifically made marine diesels (very expensive).

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

15. Billy Higgins

Billy Higgins Junior Member

I've thought a lot about a shanty boat lately, and have come to some conclusions. First in your case - drop the chickens now; they are nasty, insect ridden animals. Second, shanty boats are local by definition - their sole out-of-water travel should be limited to hauling out for the winter. Third, you will not like living in Louisiana on a shanty boat in the warmer half of the year - the humidity and heat will drive you either insane or ashore.

As for the boat, the ideal max dimensions are 26 ft LOA and 10 ft beam. Longer, possibly; wider, no. Forget about trailing it anyway - it's a shanty boat, not a yacht. Use professional plans - see Phil Bolger, WoodenBoat mag, previously cited web sites; etc. Consider trading the hydroponic rooftop garden for solar panels, and charging up a couple of Torquedo outboards.

Finally, keep it simple - like, lose the paddle wheel. Because otherwise you will be described around the waterfront as the last "S" in KISS.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.