Series for megayacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cacciatore, May 30, 2009.

1. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Naval Architect and Marine Engineer

My intent is to develop a design of a megayacht like (Luerssen Yacht) for personal pleasure .Does anyone know what series i have to use to generate this typology of hull?Does anyone give me a link of the series ?
    Thanks a lot for your support.

Guglielmo

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

That is a bit broad request, do´nt you think? Which one of the 14000 yachts and ships Lürssen built did attract you so much? And why would you like to design it youself? Is the very best Megayachtbuilder in the world not good enough for your purpose?

Regards
    Richard

3. Cacciatore

Richard , I want to study this tipology of yacht to increase my personal knowledge.I read on a magazine an interview where a member of Luerssen talked about lack of naval engineer in Germany and generally in Europe.
    Luerseen build semicustom yacht using a base platform where enhance the lenght with central cylindrical portion of hull.
    They can't move away for this ''good'' platform because no one guarantee them a good efficiency of the ship.
    I mentioned Luerssen but whatever builder is the same.I am only a student with the appeal for megayacht .
    Does these keel belonge to a series?

Regards

Guglielmo

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Guglielmo, who so ever made this statement about semicustom in context with Lürssen was definetily wrong! That is the sheer nonsense. If there is one yard in the world having almost everything at hand, then it is Lürssen. And they must not fear new designs, they build them, one per month!
    Next point is the statement about the lack of NA on the European market...nonsense.

Which sort of keel are you asking for?

Regards
    Richard

5. Cacciatore

I'm searching data concern keel of Kismet or similar megayacht like Benetti.
    Thanks for your support.

Guglielmo

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Welcome,

"Kismet" was designed by "Espen Øino", the same designer who made "Skat" another Lürssen of about 70 meter. but both yachts are of a very different breed.

Kismet:
    LOA: 223’6”
    Beam: 41’10”
    Draft: 11’10”
    Construction: Steel Hull, Alum. Superstructure
    Displacement 1.610 tons
    Speed: 15.5 knots max.
    Cruise: 12 knots
    Range: 5,000 nm @ 12 knots
    Power: 2x CAT 3512 B, each 1,500 kW / 2,038 hp
    Class: Lloyd’s 100A1, SSC Yacht Mono, G6
    G6, LMC, UMS, MCA code for safety of large yachts

Skat:
    Length overall: 231'9"
    Waterline length: 205'0"
    Beam: 44'3"
    Construction: Steel hull, aluminum superstructure
    Classification: Lloyd’s + 100A1, SSC Yacht (P), G6, UMS, XLMC; MCA certificate
    Fuel Capacity: 54,000 gal.
    Water Capacity: 15,000 gal.
    Engines: 2/2,720-hp 16V4000 M79 MTU diesel inboards
    Generators: 2/281-kW MTUs and 1/212-kW MTU
    Watermakers: 7,926-gallons-per-day HEM
    Naval Architecture: Espen Øino Naval Architects/Lürssen Yachts
    Exterior Styling: Espen Øino Naval Architects

I doubt there is any valuable info available.

Regards
    Richard

7. Cacciatore

Richard ,Thanks a lot for your information.
    I want to know if i design a megayacht's hull i must use a series like METHODICAL SERIES 64 or METHODICAL SERIES NPL and pick my information (various resistence etc...) from there .
    How does a N.A. design his megayacht's hull?How does he begin?
    I don't think is the same like design a yacht of 50 ft that many Architects design without sense but only for a decent style of sovrastructure .

Guglielmo.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

I would recommend to ask some of our guys here that do the job actually. There are "Guillermo" and "Ad Hoc" for example, both are working on some larger scale vessels. Use the PM function!
    Making the statements I would like to make here, may setup some of my peers.

Regards
    Richard

9. Cacciatore

Very decent of you .Thank you very much for the support.
    Regards

Guglielmo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.