self righting motor trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jonr, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You are absolutely right. The other problem is to get someone gutsy enough to actually do it and test it. Most just want to critisize from their chair and pesrpective.

2. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

If they persist with these massive hydraulic swing keels -that keep on falling off, a mono is as dangerous as a multi.:eek: :mad:

I like both so not taking sides on this one, just watching.:p

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I wonder why they cant the keel instead of the mast? Either one will help keep the sail upright.

4. G8R

G8R turd

I think it’s a good Idea, sort of like the pedal of a bicycle rotates around the shaft. I just might give it a try, and I would think that you would have to run the center beam through the full length of the central hull. I like it when people think out side the box!

5. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

As far as I know they cant the keels so that they can overload the rigs for maximum power imput.

I'm wondering if this will just be a fad, although its what? about ten years now they've been using these things in earnest and they are still falling off, or the rams blowing up etc. I am wondering how long theyll perservere with them. Maybe a designer of race boats will come along and let us know the benefits behind them.
    I would be interested to know how much more loading is exerted on a boat with; as opposed to same size boat without a canting keel.

And

How much extra reinforcement is put into building a boat with a canting keel? :eek: apart from the obvious keel area.

Anybody in that game?

Justin

6. kim s

kim s Junior Member

self righting mutihull

I do believe that some one is trying to start up a mini transat for multihull.
    Part of the brief for the design,is it must be rightable (not sure thats good english)without outside assistance.
    The one idea I saw was the outerfloats being able to move through 180 deg vertically and also the mast has releasing rigging to assist the turning as well.
    As far as safety is concernd, i will just sit smuggly back with my beer staying where I put it, knowing that I will be in port tied up and safe long before the others arrive. I can be in before them when bad weather is on its way,
    Mono hulls might be more "Sea Kindly". They have to be as they are going to out there a flippin long time.:p :p :) :)
    Kim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.