self righting motor trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jonr, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Stefan H

Stefan H Junior Member

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Shouldn't the question be how to prevent capsizing.

The tri you show in the picture has an enormously long mast...

4. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I would guess that in the right conditions, Earthrace could find itself upside down.

An example of where you want a stable boat that can flip over and then keep going is a surf rescue boat.

5. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

I'm personally trying to learn and gather knowledge. You say "multihulls are death traps!" and then say a type of multi hull that has been used for centuries (and I would assume thus is safe.) has nothing to do with another type.

Do you have any suggestions on where to find studies that actually back up your claims on them being more dangerous than a similar sized mono sailing at similar speeds in similar conditions?

And still if they are so dangerous, why are there so many of them still sailing?

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Pay no attention to Apex 1, he is talking out of the top of his head, :eek:

I have been sailing multihulls, both Cats and Tris for 48 years, with never a problem.

Once we were sailing a cruising trimaran at speed and hit a deadhead floating in the water.

It punched a hole as big as a fist in the forward underbody, and in a few minutes the floorboards were floating.

The outrigger floats took up the support and we simply sailed on to our destination in safety.

If that had been a leadmine we would have been left swimming as it went to the bottom. :eek:

Multihulls float---even if upside down.

Monohulls SINK. :eek:

Take your choice. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------------------------------
    In the wild side of sailing design both Sean Langman and Julian Bethwaite have conceived of "hybrid" boats that would have multihull speed coupled with
    the ability to self-right. A sailing tri righting system(from 180 degrees) has been devised and tried. Perhaps some combination of these ideas could be used to allow a power multi to be automatically self-righting-I'd bet on it.
    Here are Langman and Bethwaites concepts-I posted this in another thread and then realized it could be appropo here as well:

Attached Files:

8. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Hey Doug , what's up with the helpful and reasonable posts?

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

That idea was presented at the World Multihull Symposium in 1976.
    It was rejected on the grounds of technical feasability. :eek:

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Anything specific? - no offence, but I think "not feasible" has been said about every new thing that has ever been made.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Make a symetrical boat that can sail in either position.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Shouldn't the question be how to prevent capsizing.

On sailing craft the "old" answer was a self releasing sheet lock.

Most were simple cam cleats mounted on a ski binding.

With a fully battened main , no damage occurs with an early release.

KISS, and keep the Blue side up!

FF

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Isn't there any Batman fan here? A batrimaran.

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Get yourself a few pieces of PE foam blocks. You can cut and push this into the hole. Since it's flexable it will tend to seal the hole. I would think one with more density rather than low sensity, but beware, the higher density pieces become hard and difficult to manipulate.

He's just giving you grief like all the muti hull owners always give the mono's grief.

Secretly he desires a nice fast cat but is too proud to admit it :D

Attached Files:

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Fast Fred, I fully agree with you. I have said it before and I'm going to say it again :D

A mono dumps the wind when it heels, hence it doesn't capsize so easy.

A multihull resist heeling due to it's stability, but when the force on the sails become enough to heel it over, the force is usually so much that the righting force is not enough to prevent the capsize. Keep in mind there is no heavy keel on a multi that constantly tends to pull it upright.

The more a mono heels the more is the righting force from the keel, in a multi the more it heels the less the force that try to keep it upright.

So I would suggest another system to prevent capsize on a multi. I think it would be very possible to make a round clam cleat that has an adjustable clutch. When the force on the sail exceeds the clutch setting, it release the line and the sail can dump the wind, the boat stays upright.

Also, if a similar release method is made that acts on heeling it should also work well. When a certain angle of heel is reached the line is released, the sail force drops and the boat can right itself.

Now I know the racers are on to me already, but keep in mind when you're racing you are persuing the maximums and are hends on the whole time.

I'm referring to cruisers that will typically sail somewhere. It's that sudden gail that offers a problem.

In either case if the line is let out one can simply trim the sail back, no harm done and 10 seconds was lost in time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.