seeing the world differently

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dave Gudeman, Oct 23, 2011.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Wow - that is a fantastic boat !!!

I know some very expensive seaside suburbs I would like to anchor beside with that hull.

1 person likes this.
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh yes, I know about that one.

I am still winning the bet about how far down it would dive - I said it would never get launched, and that is right on the money after 2 years

4. F28SS

F28SS New Member

Most building and homes are like pontoon party barges. Cup holders, silly graphics, and coolers or granite counter tops and stainless appliances and extra sinks. What 90% buyers go for is a little superficial bling and rather uninteresting uses of the final product :(

5. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Logic fail: if they were locked inside, they wouldn't see the outside.

IMO, too many houses are designed to look like houses to impress other people. I'd prefer to spend money on the inside of the house rather than on the outside.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

F28SS-- agree. The other aspect not brought into thr equasion here is: Yacht Club regulations(boat design) and sub division regulations (home design) In both cases,( more so homes) these regulations play a role in the design. Some yacht clubs are very critical of size, value, shape,( multi verses mono) power, sail, even colour and graphics. The trend of the upper class in the U.S.today is to live in exclusive, guarded, gated communities that regulate new construction and renovation to the hilt. This class divisional trend (origionally a very British culture) is now also spreading to what could be the replacement for the destroyed middle class, "the lower upper class". Thus the designers in both cases (marine and land) hold a double edge sword--to paint a picture to meet the regulations or to paint a picture to exceed the regulations and outdo fellow professionals using the funds and the "one up on the neighbours" competitiveness and greed of his rich customer. A tempting capitalistic position to be in--To eat the apple or not-- can't say I'd want to be there ??? Regardless we all have to live with the final product while it often leaves bewilderment and a bad taste in our mouths.