sectional work barge design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by expedition, Oct 27, 2009.

1. expedition

expedition Thorwald Westmaas

We need some help to design for 2 sectional barges, something like you see at http://www.bargesystems.com/pictures.htm

Each section would be 40 ft. long and 8 ft. wide. The 2 sections would be united by a bridge, making the platform as wide as possible but at least 3 ft. wider. Ideally, the sections would be united by removable beams that get inserted in each section and then locked into place. To make it even more rigid, 3 overhead frames would be placed at very end and center of the barges (say 19 wide, 10 ft. high) that would also serve as a light roof support (we're in Panama: either it rains or the sun is shining like crazy).

Ideally, those frames simply have to be put into existing 'holes' with a very simple locking device. A

The load capacity of the total platform doesn't have to be more than about 30.000 lbs. It will only be used on inland waters. A support structure for an outboard is also required.

Part of the section would house a diesel tank (2x 250 gal. or so); one a fresh water tank (also 2x 250 gal.); we'll need area a little bit reinforced to accommodate a 25 KW genset....

And maybe a very simple ramp on the side

What would be best: steel or alum? I understand alum. doesn't corrode but you need more of it to give the same strengh and a few sacrificial anodes on a steel construction should help too.

The design would have to include the files so a CNC machine can cut all the required pieces and they only have to weld things together here in Panama.

Thorwald

2. vishnubaiju

vishnubaiju Junior Member

How will you move the barge?
    I am a Naval architect and can provide the design of a barge 40 ft x 8ft size.
    Steel is the best material. You provide anodes and paint well, it will last 20 years and more.....
    Also give me the email ID

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It depends what is available locally for repairs. This will probably dictate more than any other 'technical' requirement. I suspect steel is common throughout your part of the world?

But for that size, transportability is a big factor...ie weight!

4. expedition

expedition Thorwald Westmaas

My idea was to add a structure at the rear of each barge to attach an outboard engine.

Steel is most common here and practical, probably cheaper too but yes, weight is an issue.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.