Seaworthy Rowing Shell?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ganjiro, Jan 8, 2011.

1. science abuse

science abuse Junior Member

Kerosene; thanks for the link!

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

3. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It seems like a skin on frame kayak design could be readily modified to take a rowing machine. Someone like Petros or Dive Wilhelm could design one for you and the finished boat could probably weigh as little as 30 lbs.

4. science abuse

science abuse Junior Member

I've spend many'an'how plotting and planning rowing craft for open water. Seaworthiness, I define as the ability to handle changing conditions and bigger surf. Obviously, it'll never be as seaworthy as a Frigate, but getting you home if things turn rough is something that is important. Also being able to right the boat, get back in, and bail (if not self bailing) is another consideration.

With that said, I can't get behind the idea of a traditional rowing shell or modified kayak. You need some beam for stability, to handle some moderate waves from the side (you don't always get to row with or against them).
    Some weight also adds to stability. A 200lb man sitting atop a 55lb craft is a bit top heavy. Length helps mute the roughness of the waves a bit, and helps get you across the break on your way back to the beach.

I've had the above mentioned modified canoe out on 6ft swells and over 4ft breakers and, working carefully, I can get it back to shore in those conditions with the smooth side down..... where I dump my junk, and push it right back out to play surfboat. You have to love a plastic hull that can take being broached and flipped!

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Nucanoe.com is another approach. They start at 60 pounds and are positively buoyant.

-Tom

6. Ganjiro

Ganjiro New Member

I have been rowing my 45 lb. 11' fiberglass Eagle canoe using a Piantedosi Scout rig rowing frame with reasonable success: http://www.rowingrigs.com/pubsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=5
    Two things I don't like is one the short waterline which is not as hydrodynamic as a longer hull so not as efficient, and two it is a sit inside canoe which is not ideal for rougher seas when taking on water. I wanted something similar to the discontinued Alden 17 HDPE hull rowing shell in concept a sit on top self bailing hull like HDPE SOT kayaks are. I'd like a hull under 70 pounds if possible, and that I can mount my existing Scout rowing frame onto. After 4 back surgeries the lighter the better.
    Here's a couple pictures of my rowing canoe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.