Seagull racing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Horsley-Anarak, Nov 15, 2010.

1. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I have to say i agree with the race organisers & think the introduction of a modified class is a good idea & compromise.
    We used to run a seagull race at our club many years ago, we came under pressure to allow jap outboards & this was allowed, shortly afterwards the event folded as there was no point the old engines even trying to take part.
    In any racing event rowing, sailing or seagull there will always be the desire to win which is fair enough, but this must be tempered with consideration for the spirit of the event.

2. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

A race where you are discouraged from going faster? WHAT NEXT!! Alcohol free beer?

Nice boat AH.

3. Seagull170

Seagull170 Junior Member

If it's not a race to see who has the fastest boat with a British Seagull on the back.
    Why would the best prizes be for the first one back in each class?

4. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

The race is obviously a fun event intended to raise money for charity, and the organisers have to draw the line somewhere, the fact it has been running for so long proves they must be doing something right!
    In an event like this its a fine line to tread between building a winner & appearing to some to be going against the spirit of the event.
    By the way I have no connection with the event & think the winner this year was a worthy effort, but the organisers have to find a balance.

5. Horsley-Anarak

Horsley-Anarak Junior Member

Oh well, the design worked well.

I won, and now that hull is banned.

Back to the drawing board.

Anyone got any bright ideas for a displacement hull design?

H-A

P.S. It was worth the effort;)

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

A race in an area with a 6kt speed limit .......crazy...lets see what they come up with

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Looks like the design rules...6 knots...limit you. Perhaps its best to change design strategy and build the most radical SUPER FUN seagull racer in the fleet. Something crazy...that only goes six knots....but has everyone watching, pointing their finger, snapping their camera and laughing out load . I CANT BELIEVE MY EYES !!!!!!!!! Look at that crazy boat.... A seagull powered Roman Chariot....A seagull Pope mobile with campaign top.... a racing Pig....the yellow submarine.....seagull powered alligator... a seagull powered Bratwurst....

Hmmm

Attached Files:

8. osprey19

osprey19 New Member

Lerryn Seagull Race

Lerryn Seagull Race
    Forum members' comments following our position statement were more or less as expected. Lerryn is not a suitable or a safe venue for speed racing and we have to apply every year to the Harbour Master for permission to run our event detailing the arrangements and safety measures. This would almost certainly be refused if it were known that there was no speed limit for the race.
    The Lerryn Seagull race is a community fun event which raises money for the RNLI and local charities ( over £500 this time). We welcome entries from anyone who subscribes to this philosophy.
    Keith66 understands our position having had similar experience with seagull racing in his area.
    From RLYS.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.