Sea Pearl 21 type design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by KJC, Jun 2, 2007.

1. KJC

KJC New Member

I have ab old plywood sailboat that has rotted hull,frames, and deck. the rig and the centerboard trunk are in good condition.

I'm looking to build a new boat and was thinking along the lines of a SeaPearl 21 except with a centerboard. Does anyone know of a design that might work. I'll also have to fugure out where to position the centerboard.

http://www.marine-concepts.com/

This site has seapearls so you can get an idea if you never saw one.

Thanks KJC

2. mgpedersen

mgpedersen Junior Member

Herreshoff?

I thought the sea pearl was based on LF Herreshoff's Carpenter design. You can find the plans in his "Sensible Cruising Designs" probably in the chapter on the Walrus. The construction in these plans will be plank on frame, not sheet goods.

The Carpenter does have a ketch rig that stows inside, and a centerboard.

3. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

I have a "Lightfoot 21" New Haven style sharpie. Mine is glass, but some were built in ply. This is the same hull as the "Bay Hen", similar in concept and size, if not shape, to the Sea Pearls.

More info on the HensNest yahoo group.

Sal's Dad

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I think the seapearls originally had centerboards. There's where to determine location, otherwise, same as leeboard position.
    You probably have a sloop rig? The CE will be higher, so you might look for a design with similar CE distance from deck. This would mean a wider boat.
    Or you could recut the old sail and add more canvas in the form of headail, jigger, or both. Very fast boat, the sea pearl. A taller rig would be outstanding but you'd want to have a friend along to make for movable ballast.

alan

5. capnschepp

capnschepp New Member

Phil Bolgers birdwatcher may be your ticket, one could rig it as a cat ketch. If you want something more traditional looking I am in the process of building a really sweet looking boat of simular empty weight and displacement with about 165 square feet of sail. She is 23' long ( 20 1/2' at the water ) with 7" of rocker, hard chine, somewhere between a dory and a sharpie. Having owned and sailed a sea pearl 21 for about 7 or 8 years, I can say its a nice design. But I desided to get away from all those production type boats!! After building a couple of dozen cardboard scale models I finally came up with a beautiful 16' skiff prototype, I rigged her as a cat ketch ( the boats a little bit short for this ) out of pure selfishness!! ( I'm a big fan of this rig with all of its advantages especial keeping the ce down low ) She has about 5" of rocker and a real screamer on a reach ( It took a sea pearl 21 an hour and a half to catch up to me and I was only about a 1/4 mile ahead ). She's really my prototype for the 23' boat thats in the process of being built. It'll displace around 2000 lbs. at 7"' s of draft, a beam of 6'5". bottom width of 57". being 2' longer than a sea pearl 21 It should have room for a outboard well. It's center ccockpit (hold) is roomier as well ( a little bit wider ) and should weigh in empty at about 650 lbs and probably sail best at around 1400 lbs but would easily sail good at 2000 lbs. One may check out a video of the 16 footer on my web site ( http://tack9.com ) the 23 will employ an off center board. when heeled up wind she presents a "vee" to the seas with an occasional slap but doesn't pound at all and down when reaching shes got that big wide flat bottom and easily breaks displacement hull speeds with a lighter load in her ( about 70% of full displacement ). Hope I was of some help and should have some photo's of the 23 in progress soon. She's an extreemly simple to buld jigless built boat, but easy to align and get as straight as most jig built boats but does have an exterior chine log. Capnschepp

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.