Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 11-05-2002, 06:58 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 4
SCUBA liveaboard in Thailand or Malaysia?

I am looking to build a 25 meter liveaboard boat or modify a fishing vessel either in Thailand or Malaysia. Does anyone know any boatbuilders in either Malaysia or Thailand? Thanks

Old 03-23-2003, 04:29 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
http://phuket-divecruises.com/swedis...s/scubacat.htm

A great boat, I think! Would build it if I could afford it. To live aboard is my no 1 dream. If I only had som money...

//Anette
Old 03-24-2003, 05:54 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 14
If I remeber corectly, there was an outfit in Singapore that made diving boats.
There are quite a few people who do the guided tours out in that part of the world too.
I will do some more reseach / digging through the fog of memory to see what I can recall.
I spent about a year between Bornio (KK) and Phucket.

p
Old 03-26-2003, 11:43 AM

Rep: 694 Posts: 1,329
Steel, FRP, or Aluminum?

There was a Thai built Bruce Farr megasailer built in Thailand a while back. There was also a steel proa motoryacht designed by a New Zealander and built in China, and there is a builder of (aluminum?) fast ferry catamarans somewhere in that part of the world.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:44 AM

Rep: 1809 Posts: 3,375
Thailand/ Malaysia boatbuilders

Thailand
http://www.concordiayacht.com/index.asp
I was going to pay them a visit here soon, but this SARS virus has posponed my trip

I know of several in Malaysia, just can't think of the names right now. Prompt me if you're still interested
Old 04-28-2003, 01:00 PM

Here is one of the Malaysian builders I was thinking of:
http://www.dkyachts.com/

I might suggest you look at the Philippines for some really good pricing
Old 04-29-2003, 01:19 PM

Houseboat

If you look at classic 20's style "houseboats", you will see plumb bowed, fantail stern single screw motoryachts that offer tremendous space inside. Jay Benford used to live on one in St. Michaels MD, and designs similar craft. His current versions are brokered as "Florida Bay Coasters"by Real Ships International. They have a website showing their 42 and 60. His website is www.tillerbooks.com.

The current designs are steel and twin screw, but obviously could be either.

It would be very easy to get Jay or another designer competent in steel to come up with something you like if you don't like the current ones. You could then get it built at a number of places in the Northwest or in Cotati, CA. (When you get to that point, post again.) If the builder uses CNC it will be relatively affordable. You could also have a CNC kit made, and have it contract built or build it yourself. Several Seattle firms would also be good candidates becauise of their experience in small steel ship contruction, mainly Elliott Bay Design Group , Rick Etsel, Fisker Andersen or Jensen Maritime.

In the interests of full disclosure, I weas involved in the design of one of the subject craft and worked for one of the design firms listed above, so I might be prejudiced, but a quick web cruise would be at least interesting.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:32 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Anyone out there,
Know of major suppliers /Distributors
(names/contacts in Thailand) for Poly Ester, Vinyl Ester, fibre glass cloth, Kevla, Carbon cloth etc etc .

Frank
framecorp@hotmail.com
Old 10-16-2003, 05:55 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
WHAAAAAAY HELLO,
I'M LOOKING TO DO AND LIVE IN THIS REGION.
WHAT TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS ARE YOU THINKING.
WE SPECIAZLISE IN FRP/COMPOSITE AND OUR ASSOCIATES HAVE 33 YRS AND 30 YRS EXPERIENCE IN LARGE CRAFT AS EXPERTS IN LAMINATION, MOULD BUILDING, PAINTING.

FRANK
I LIVE IN PUSAN FOR THREE YEARS
Old 10-26-2003, 01:24 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Try China

I met a guy a couple of years ago in Phuket who lived there, and had a steel diplacement power yacht built in China. The boat was about 50 ft. and immaculately fitted out. I don't know what the price was, or the builder, but apparently it was lot cheaper than heving it built in Thailand!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 AM

China reference;

Check out this group,
http://www.seahorseyachts.com/

Looks to be a competent operation. The owner had contacted me sometime ago and was very interested in my motorsailer catamaran discussions. If you should contact him please mention my name and website reference.

I would also suggest you have a look at Kasten's article on Boatbuilding Cost and his references to building in steel. I think he has spent considerable time in Asia as well
www.kastenmarine.com

regards
Old 12-07-2003, 08:51 PM

All Hull . Boat building in Thailand

I am building 24 and 28 meter steel boat right now in Thailand
Both of them for scuba diving. contact me if still interesting to build one. Pricing ??? Cheap...Cheap...Cheap.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Chairuch Pichetshote

From All Hull boat builder again

We specialize in Stell and Aluminum up to 45 meter

chairuch@hotmail.com

Old 12-25-2003, 07:14 PM
mattfleo

boat builder in Malaysia

I spent some time in Malaysia a few years ago setting up an outrigger canoe/kayak production. I came across a company named "Explorer" located in the town of Malaka that produced a wide range of styles and size boats 12'-60'. Their web address is www.explorer.com.my
At the time, they were assisting in the production of a large one off catamaran. Check out their web sight and if you would like any other insight to the place let me know, I'd be happy to help.

mnfleo@comcast.net
Matt