Schooner 100 foot plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by danysordelli, Feb 16, 2006.

1. danysordelli

danysordelli Junior Member

Hi all,

We are a litle team in Argentina. We are looking for Schooner plans (Low Cost or free) 100 foot aprox. Classic design. Steel Hull. Anyone can help us.

Tanks a lot

2. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

I wonder if you have given any consideration to the cost of the hull, of a 100' schooner, if you consider the cost of the plans being too much

3. danysordelli

Sorry but y can't understand some questions o reasoning.
    We are a little begginers team (1 economist, 1 accountant, 1Architect and our son).
    We are fascinated with the classic boat (schooners). But, for to begin the project we need to know: direct Cost, place needed, machines, tools, time, tax, and other.

Is probable, you can make some estimates with only the LOA size but the ignorance is hte mother of the unefficient and, you know, we are a beginers.

We think that a good begin is to get a plans with especification.

thank all

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As beginners, the best thing you could do is get some experience, starting with a 30' boat, then work your way up to a large yacht. You'll need a crew, familiar with 100' schooners and a skipper of same. When you've paid your dues on that boat, you'll be better prepared to look into a custom set of plans for the boat of your dreams. Currently you have no idea what these sailing dreams are, but after you've manhandled a 100' schooner around for a year or two, you'll have much more insight and will likely want a more manageable craft, considerably smaller in length. I know of no set of low cost or free plans for a vessel of that size. A 15' fishing boat sure, but not a large sailing yacht. I currently have 85' and 135' sailboat plans that could be had as a stock plan set. They aren't low cost, but they are very reasonably, considering it's over 50 sheets of drawings. A set of drawings for a craft of this scale will run about 3% of the finished cost of the yacht (minimum) which is a very small price to pay for a boat that will float upright when launched.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Go read a few books then, like the man said start small and work up! :rolleyes:

Did you as children climb out of you cot one day and run the marathon? No of course not, first you learn to sit up, then crawl, then walk, then run, it took some time!:rolleyes:

So it is with boats (and anything else in life) first you learn the simple bits then daily get better!:?:

Sure its good to dream! but you must have achievable dreams! If you want a 100 foot schooner then best you learn nothing, make $millions, buy a boat with a professional skipper and crew and let them do the work! :?:

You won't enjoy it that way but you'll have the boat! Until somebody steals or sinks it but you won't know why! Do it the other way, gently and you'll have fun for years! Go on get a book and a little boat...:idea:

6. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Hallo Dany.Real good advise for beginners safewalrus. I'am a beginner to sail boat too. Had experience it the hard way myself..Danysordelli, I'am trimming down our family new sail boat(at wood drying stage now) to something more manageable by us alone..o.k we still need some crew and the maids for the kids..a two mast seven sail phinisi at 150 feet LOA, 120 LOD will need 15 crews to sail..(phinisi can be ketch rig or schooner rig) o.k they got to do it manually..but I believe it is a lotsa fun if I'am able to do the sailing meself..70 feet I think is maximum size for a sail boat to be handle without profesional crew..Briand Eiland article on mast aft is one very interesting article to me..Sorry can't help you Dany on the design..our boat builders here just built from memory and experience. Anybody who is interested to have the design actually got to follow the construction progress daily and record every single thing..and for more than 50 pages of at least A3 size paper..it is very hard to come free..

7. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

You might consider Roberto Barros, here in Brasil.
    http://www.yachtdesign.com.br/03_espanhol/news_espanhol.htm
    If I were building a project of that size, in metal, I would be talking with Dudley Dix. At any rate you need to get hold of a study plan. There are enough ship yards in your country to build anything you want. There is no rule that you need to start out small. It is your money and you get to spend it any way that you want. None of us here know how much money you have or what your abilities are so advice to downsize might not be good advice? However, if you a pinched for money don't start a project that you will never finish.
    Gerald

8. safewalrus

jerry you don't seem to grasp why I said start small, read it again it might sink in! Basically with a small vessel you get to play with all the bits of string and do everything, that way you get to learn!

As I said above if you can't be bothered going that way buy the biggest boat you can, get a professional crew and let them do the work! You won't learn anything, (means you'll miss a lot of the fun) and of course you won't know why you loosing a lot of money to a bunch of rip off merchants who tell you that it's your money and you can spend it anyway you can - they know this but at the same time why should they have to be robbed? (bet you could help them spend it eh!)

9. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

OK I read it again. These gents want to build a big boat. They didn't mention anything about wanting to learn to sail or captain a boat. There may be a thousand reasons to build a boat of that size, for one, a charter service. There is a man from Argentina here in Florianopolis that owns 11 large charter boats the same number of boats that I own.
    Argentina lies 1,500 kilometers south of here and my shop is for my use only. Not much chance of making money working as a rip off artist when those conditions are considered.
    Gerald

10. safewalrus

Ok Jerry, get your point, never thought of it that way - like everybody else thought they were interested in becoming 'yottys', But Yeah they could be wanting a cheap charter boat but.......don't think so? Even an owner needs to know something about his boat don't he?

11. danysordelli

Tank all opinion a advices. All have a good reason (experiences) for to write here and i respect it.

I looking for a classic design (yr. 1930-1940) not a custom yatch or new yatch. (PAR 3% of the total cost in plan is very reasonable) or where we find it.

Wy, because we want to get a boat together.

Jerryniff: Charter in Brazil, we never think it, but may be good idea.

Ari: I know Pissini (150') plans. Nice machine.

12. PAR

My 135' ketch costs over $90,000 US as a stock set of plans. This should give you an idea of the ball park you'll be playing in. A vessel of this size requires considerable commitment. Her basics are 135' LOA, 112' LWL, 25' beam,11' 6" draft, 231,000 pounds displacement, 27% ballast ratio, aprox.6,000 sq. ft. of sail area in a Bermudian ketch rig, 5,000 gals water, 5,700 gals. fuel, berths 20+ in several state rooms.

13. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

What do you mean "your ketch"? You designed such a huge thing?

14. PAR

I've also designed a 150'er, but not a sailing vessel. The vast majority of my designs are 8' to 65', with the 15' to 35' range being the most populated.

15. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Wow, that's impressive, PAR. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.