Scaling up a design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AnJo888, Mar 27, 2006.

1. AnJo888

AnJo888 New Member

Hello fellows.

I've just got a dinghy project I intend to build as my first one.

The boat is about 1.7 m (5.5') long and I want to "stretch" it a little.

I intend to use an 1.25 scaling factor.

My question is:

Is it ok to apply a constant multiplier to all length mesures, or do I have to consider any other values, due to curved surface? Furthermore, should I use a ticker plywood (let´s say 6mm instead of 4mm) to ensure more resistant longer surfaces?

Thank you for your attention and support.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

There are things to consider beyond merely length factors when considering "stretching" a design. In most cases, it is not reccommended to lengthen a design by more than 10%. In the case of a simple ply dinghy, and especially with your first boatbuilding project, why not just get a set of plans for a 2.15m dink? There are plenty of them available, and you won't run into any surprises during construction.

1 person likes this.
  3. AnJo888

AnJo888 New Member

Yeah!

I think you're right.
    I've got that feeling, in the back of my head, that it was not as simples as multipling the lengths.
    Anyway, it is great to be a new member of this forum.
    Thank you for attention and prompt response.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.