salt water vs fresh water bouyancy in boat plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blackdaisies, Apr 29, 2009.

1. blackdaisies

blackdaisies Senior Member

I was just peeking in to ask about the water line and balance change from fresh water to salt. Will it have a major effect on a boat usually sailed in fresh water?

Salt water is denser, weighs more, and displaces less, so a boat built for fresh water sailing will act differently on salt water?

Thank you for your time.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you're talking about a 300m supertanker...yes
    If you're talking about a small dinghy...no.

3. blackdaisies

It's a small boat, but I was wondering what a difference it would make. Even small ones with ballast or keels would be effected by a relevant change. I was wondering if that would be needed in choosing a design.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The difference, if a small boat, is so minor it is not worth even worrying about. In reality you wont notice any difference at all, even though there is technically a "difference".

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

The difference is 1.6 lbs/cu ft of displacement. say 16-32 lbs in a smallish boat. total difference in draft is in the order of an inch or less. You'll float a bit higher in salt than in fresh...so bring another case of soda or whatever.

Steve

6. ned L

ned L Junior Member

I can tell you that I remember a 'well previsioned' 46' 1950 Chris Craft floating maybe an inch lower on her lines in fresh water than in salt water, so as said, not a big differance.

7. blackdaisies

Is it better to be higher than lower in a design? I would think I would want to build for fresh water and be higher in the water than for it to be lower.

8. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Many BC fishboats with greedy skippers have been loaded to deck level in salt water. They do OK until they hit the freshwater of the Frazer River , then they sink like a stone. Not a problem ,unless your decks are awash in salt water.
    Brent

9. blackdaisies

I'll remember that. You never know when that may come in handy. Don't be a greedy sailor in fresh water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.