.....for the sake of just $20.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by WestVanHan, Oct 2, 2014.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

A couple days ago in my area...
    I heard the interview of the mother,she said they noticed the boat was handling differently,husband went below to check and it was already almost full of water.

The mom barely made it out of the overturned boat-fifteen more minutes in that water and they may have been dead.
    Every possession they had was in that boat...plus 5 kids.

"Five children and two adults spent nearly half an hour in frigid water off the northern tip of B.C.'s Galiano Island after their fishing boat overturned around 8:30 p.m. PT Monday....they were treated for moderate hypothermia by B.C. Ambulance and released.
    'They clung onto it for 25 minutes, which is quite amazing, and it's a great end to what could have been a very tragic story.'- Ron MacDougall, Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria
    The massive rescue response was launched after the 10-metre gillnetter issued a mayday to report the vessel was sinking in Georgia Strait near the entrance of Porlier Pass, located between Valdez and Galiano islands."

Couple years ago-doing the usual pre-trip engine room check-a friend lost his 1 litre bottle of iced tea.We looked all over,and gave up-a minute after we started moving we found it: the alarms went off.
    Mine are wired in water intrusion alarms,but with these a 9 volt battery will last almost a year:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/flood-water-and-overflow-alarm/993135

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Great post Mr W. Would never have even thought about putting one in. I will make it a priority.

Especially useful if you are sleeping on board overnight perhaps ?

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Yes,by all means R-buy two of them.
    If asleep,you won't wake up until the boat capsizes or until you are under water-and it may be too late by then.

I've given them as Christmas presents-one friend perhaps saved his engine when a cooling pipe leaked.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

All commercial vessels In australia are fitted with bilge alarms . It is a survey requirement.

5. Emerson White

Emerson White Junior Member

It shows up as $24.29 for me. I guess I'll just drown...

6. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

ISO 12217-1 requires water alarms for Cat C option 5 and 6.

This also points to adding an instruction on natural roll period to the operator's manual.

I have some alarms under the washing machine at home that were three for about $10.00. They last a year or so.

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

It's always good to know the price tag of one's own life.

8. JSL

JSL Senior Member

On our last boat we had a truck "backing-up" beeper on the fly bridge & activated by a float switch. In 20+ years it only came on once: the boat was anchored and we were on shore. After a 'fast' row in the dinghy we discovered the hot water tank had ruptured and the bilge filled with freshwater. The boat would not have sunk but we knew the system worked.