I need information in reference to the performance of my boat, which as I understand from the Beneteau people it was designed by Berret Racoupeau, but they didn’t answer any of my mails. The boat is a Moorings 38 from 1991 (also called first 38’5’’).
Actually I’m doing extensive cross Caribbean sailing, so she sail a lot in open waters and I’m experiencing problems with her handling that have the tendency to jump around, and go to the wind with small wind changes. I have worked reducing the sail area, making a reef, but the boat performance is dramatically reduced.
So mi question is, if that problem could be diminished by changing or modifying the small keel that the boat actually has? If it’s so I’ll really appreciate any suggestions and ways to fix it.
I realize that a shoal keel is excellent for island cruising as for anchoring in sandy shallow waters, so mi first approach will be to keep the old keel and adding wings, if that is possible or not, or you have a better solution I’ll appreciate your comments and suggestions.
I’m posting an attach file of my own wing design, that need to be finished because it’s based on proportions, I also need to define the wings section.
Sincerely
Actually I’m doing extensive cross Caribbean sailing, so she sail a lot in open waters and I’m experiencing problems with her handling that have the tendency to jump around, and go to the wind with small wind changes. I have worked reducing the sail area, making a reef, but the boat performance is dramatically reduced.
So mi question is, if that problem could be diminished by changing or modifying the small keel that the boat actually has? If it’s so I’ll really appreciate any suggestions and ways to fix it.
I realize that a shoal keel is excellent for island cruising as for anchoring in sandy shallow waters, so mi first approach will be to keep the old keel and adding wings, if that is possible or not, or you have a better solution I’ll appreciate your comments and suggestions.
I’m posting an attach file of my own wing design, that need to be finished because it’s based on proportions, I also need to define the wings section.
Sincerely