sail Interiors-34' sail,wood strip comp.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Roly, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I am about to fitout the interior of my boat after a rebuild. I could use the old classic configuration or go for more storage and a more functional layout.( The old worked ok, except perhaps the galley in rough weather.
    Any body recommend good reading or production boats that are spartan, yet
    a new rationale,tech?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I could use the old classic configuration or go for more storage and a more functional layout.( The old worked ok, except perhaps the galley in rough weather.

The reason the interior was in your boat had the layout it had is it WORKS!

After 5000 years of boating most boats have fairly standard interiors from long term testing.

If the galley stinks , rebuild a seagoing galley if thats what you need. For ocean work my preference is for the stove to be double gimboled and mounted athwartships. The ice box built into the hull side and the sink on centerline also athwartships.

With this configuration a boiling pot does not target the cook on either tack.

One trick we have used is to use a sea cock under the galley floor , rather than under the sink. IF the bottom of the sink is above the water lines , the sink drain can be disconected and a broom handle rammed thru (if needed) with out closing the sea cock..

Spartan is usually the trim grade. Painted ply , or formica covered with corner trim is fast and functional. A few hundred pounds of carved unobtanium from the protected rain forest may be prettier , but raises the build time and cost.

FF

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Since you are from NZ, you are not far away from Kiri (Pawlonia) suppliers. This plantation grown stuff is available in sheet sizes like marine ply (in about 7 mm thickness) , but has the weight of balsawood, and the longevity of huon pine (I kid you not). Price wise it is a little above formica per sheet, but due to its thickness, you dont have to stuff about with crappy framing as much. It also takes f'glass and epoxy beautifully.
    I am planning to use it in my next boat fitout - because I cant stand floppy formica or thin ply and the cheap nasty look it gives.
    Might be worth checking out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.