sail boat to trawler project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by winlo, Feb 9, 2009.

1. winlo

winlo New Member

I am looking for info/knowledge concerning a sail boat to power conversion. I recently obtained a shallow draft water ballasted 23 ' sail boat. It is a complete re-build type project and I was thinking of building a trawler like power boat from it. Most of my cruising is in the everglades back country and Florida gulf bays and creeks. What do I need to consider in this project? Will I need to add a keel for stability and low speed steering control? I don't expect a lot of speed from a displacment hull but I am more concerned with the control in tight quarters issue. Any info will be helpful.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Which hull did you get? Much of the ballast could be obtained with the addition of an engine and tanks. I've designed several cruisers for Florida waters and am very familiar with the shoal requirements necessary.

You might need a skeg, but not necessarily a keel. The centerboard can come out, along with it's case. Depending on how you power it will determine how you need to steer it. I'd recommend an outboard for maximum maneuverability, possibly in a well so you don't have to hear it or look at it. An inboard will need a rudder and steering gear, which you don't need with an outboard.

Post picture(s) or tell us the year, make and model sailboat.

I made a harbor launch from a 22' sailboat years ago. I stripped it back to the bare hull, deck cap, liner, centerboard case, everything was removed. The "new" boat was built of solid wood and plywood, with some 'glass sheathing to protect it from the elements. The furniture (cockpit seats, etc.) was all "stick built" from 1x2's with a 1/4" plywood facing. It was powered with a 10 HP outboard in a well, mounted just inboard of the transom in an enclosed box.

Where are you in Florida, I'm just above Orlando.

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I will hazard a few guesses if you don't mind. A shallow draft sailboat most likely has quite a lot of form stability so you should not need ballast. You probably can do away with the water ballast feature too. If there is no skeg of any kind on the bottom you may need to have something like that if you want it to be very manueverable and not slide sideways in the wind. If it will be outboard powered it should be quite manueverable without a skeg or keel, but it could still be troublesome with a side wind without a skeg or keel of some sort.

4. winlo

winlo New Member

I'm not quite sure of the year but it is a Santana model built by "Shock" I believe. It has a drop in type dagger board,and almost no keel, or skeg to speak of. I would most definitly use outboard power but I don't want to use up cockpit space to mount an engine box. I have built several project power boats but this is my first attempt to use a sail boat hull so please don't beat me up too bad if I say anything stoopid. I am stationed aboard NAS JAX in Jacksonville but I am from Sanibel and that area is where I spend most of my time off.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

6. winlo

winlo New Member

No it is not a 23D model. I am researching further but am pretty sure now that it is a 2023 model due to fact of the water ballast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.