rudder stock fitment

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schnaarf, Nov 15, 2008.

1. schnaarf

schnaarf Junior Member

Hi, I am putting together a rudder and rudder stock diagram for a bit of uni work.

so far i have designed (in accordance to lloyds ssc regs) the rudder and stock and selected bearings but i was wandering what would be the best way to stop the rudder stock falling out of the boat!

its obvious how to get the bearings attached to the hull but im not too sure on the best way to fix the rudder stock

the rudder is attached to the rudder stock only as the stock come straight out of the hull.

many thanks for any suggestions!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Use a "rudder port" that fits the shaft of your rudder, with a stop collar, just above the gland nut on top of the port.

There are a number of other ways to do this, some being as simple as a flange above the inner most bearing with a thrust washer and a keeper pin drilled through the shaft.

It would be helpful to have images of your design, as this isn't an especially difficult engineering issue, given the parts availability and solutions previously offered by prior designs.

Considering the very basic nature of questions you've asked here before, I'd suggest you find the assistance of a designer or engineer. Solutions to these sort of details are the essentials of yacht design work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.