Rowlocks for rowing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Frosty, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

So oars twice the beam.

Seat at center of balance and rowlocks 13 inch aft of that.

Fit temp until happy.

Thats enough to get the show on the road. Thank you.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Not a bad guide... two times beam at the oar locks. Also consider the shape of the boat...is she high sided ? then longer oars to compensate for the freeboard. How do you hold the oars ? overlapped hand grips " or end to end ? . If over lapped, make the oars longer by a hand grips length.

In general make your oars long... if you think 7 footers will work...build them 7 and a half feet long...then trim down to personal preference after seatrails. Short Stubby oars are just terrible to row with.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...one more little tip Frosty, DO NOT make the ends of the oars meet close together....your thumbs will be crushed one day for sure....

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

That's an advice for landlubbers :p.. Actually if you have unexperienced quest using the dinghy close to shore it's ok advice. However the overlapped grip is a way more efficient..

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well to continue the topic of rowing technique( hows that for my french) The old fishermen often sat or stood facing forward when rowing their dorys. Apparently a popular method for the dory boys from the fishing schooners on the Grand Banks. I still do it often when i'm using the dory to gunkhole or photo taking. It's when the 9 and 10 foot oars come in handy. Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Nothing wrong with setting an extra oar position so that you can stand, face forward and push the boat. Facing the wrong way when Pulling a boat gives you a stiff neck in tight conditions.

Attached Files:

• push.jpg
      push.jpg
      File size:
      441.3 KB
      Views:

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....nup fellas, today many dinghys use small outboards to leave the yacht, i would too if my boat was so ugly that I could not face it.....

...we always rowed facing aft, as we loved to see our boat for as long as we could and admire her beautiful lines....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.