Rotten Stringers (Tournament Ski Boat)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pattyp56, Jun 27, 2005.

1. pattyp56

pattyp56 Restored Ski Supreme

I have a 1985 19' Ski Supreme. I bought the boat 6yrs ago, and have grown attached. I have read a few posts from people with my situation, but I am looking for some advice.

The stringers in my boat have rotted to the point you can see everthing flex when you push on the motor. The original construction of this boat was not to the same quality as a Ski Nautique or MasterCraft (there is a reason for the price difference). I bought the boat knowing it had some issues. We fixed a few leaks, injected "Get-Rot" in the stringers (a sin I know), and I resorted all of the wood and electronic components on the boat. That bought me a few years. Now I would like to properly fix my problem. I am relatively handy when it comes to repairs, but an idiot when it comes to hands on use of fiberglass or epoxy.

I have talked to a local repair shop (that has been highly recommended) and have a ballpark estimate to do the work. I am wondering if anybody has an idea what the cost should be? I am having them quote the work as a "turn key" job and also a quote for just the wood and fiberglass work. I have no problem pulling the engine/transmission and interior components. Keep in mind this boat is powered by a 275hp V-8, and needs to be solid.

Any advice would be helpful. I want to get back out on the lake this summer.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Without actually seeing the damage it's hard to take a guess. Any photos? And what was the shop's estimate?

3. pattyp56

I am working on the pictures. None yet. I am taking the boat by the repair shop today to get a better estimate as the first quote was over the phone. The estimate they gave me was ~$2200 for a turn key job, and ~$1500 if I pull and reinstall the drive train, tank and easy interior components.

I can feel soft wood at least 2 feet in either direction of the engine/transmission mounts. I looked a little closer last night and the factory drilled holes were the stringer and transom meet to let what pass from the outter bulkheads. They did not protect the wood.

4. rustnrot

rustnrot Junior Member

I am here in Augusta, I build boats and have replaced stringers before. I really do not have time to do your work but can show you what is involved. I recommend exterior LVL for the stringers, it is available at Howard Lumber. For epoxies I recommend www.uscomposites.com. By far the cheapest and I have had the best of luck with it. I may have some leftover glass around here, I think. I recommend two layers of 1208 biax over the stringers. I am just an Old School electrical engineer that has gone bad......

5. pattyp56

Rustnrot thanks for the advice. I am almost out of affordable options, so I might be asking you a few questions. The local guy everybody recommended was B&E Fiberglass. I took the boat over there and he almost doubled his quote from our phone conversation. I am originally from East Tennessee (headquarters of MasterCraft, Supra, Sea Ray, Bryant, Allison Craft, etc.) There are a lot of boat builders up there, and I know a few. I am waiting to hear a price from a friend. My dad's house has a lot more room to work, so pulling the engine/transmission, and interior will be easier up there. If those plans fall through, I will be doing all of the repairs myself here in Augusta. I am just hoping the home field advantage works for me.

6. pattyp56

Repares underway

Finally got started on this project this weekend. I pulled the boat to Knoxville so my dad could help. (He has a lot more room to work!) We pulled the engine and interior and found not much stringer was left. There was one motor mount still in semi-solid wood! We cut the floor and stringer tops and removed the bad wood. The pictures are up to date when I left on Sunday. Since them my dad had shaped the new stringers and installed them. The boat will now sit for a couple of weeks until I can drive back up to help install the drivetrain and interior. Please let me know it these pictures inspire any coments or questions. I know you aren't supposed to remove both stringers at once, but neither were doing much work and the trailer provides good support.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005

7. latty15

latty15 New Member

rebuilding my own 19' ski supreme

I am rebuilding a 1985 barefoot supreme. The boat is currently disassembled. I am rebuilding the engine but need alot of work on the whole. I am going to install new stringers, a new floor and completely re work the boats interior. I have never seen a supreme of this year complete and would appreciate any assistance.
    Jon

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.