Roof Rack for a Kayak - DIY

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by upchurchmr, Aug 31, 2011.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

The Eclipse has a fairly curved roof which is short. I really did mean to make some kind of cradles to give a more support than a piece of carpet pad at a single point.

Perhaps I am being too restrictive, but driving down the road with a kayak at 70MPH makes me want more support.

Marc

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Your stability, security and structural integrity would come from the cross-tied ends, even at 100 MPH.

-Tom

3. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

I've driven a couple of hundred miles, much of it high speed highway, with my 16ft boat (the one in this post: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/beautiful-skeleton-37456-6.html#post471814) strapped to an inflatable Handirack on the roof of my 2010 model Prius (which is also short and curved). I found that I didn't need to tie the ends down, as it remained stable up to the maximum speed I wanted to go, which was around 60 - 70 mph.

I'd guess that strapping the boat down to a couple of bits of foam, or even some old carpet, would be OK.

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

He's not keen on that kind of attachment...

-Tom

5. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

I understand the objection to straps going across the inside of the car roof, but there's no reason why a different strap system couldn't be used. Straps around the car underside have already been mentioned (not ideal, as they risk contact with the hot exhaust and may interfere with door closure). However, many cars have grab handle attachments inside the roof, above the doors. Even though the drivers side doesn't normally have one of these fitted, because car body shells are made the same for LHD and RHD there may well be attachments there under the headlining.

These handles will be designed to take the load of an adult hanging from them, so should be OK for a strap attachment for a kayak.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

tie the bow and stern to tow hooks found on most cars at both

front and back underneath, or find a place to secure loops of stout rope at the 4 corners.

But before you do that, tie those foam blocks to the boat, and to the boat only, so you don't have straps through the cab.

This means including good attachment points in the boat build, and not overtightened the tie downs, but well spaced foam blocks should be plenty grippy, and aren't supposed to scuff paint. I got the ones with grey body, and black 'paint saver' veneer of foam on the flat side, and pre cut 'strap groove'.

Two for $35, but quite good....double as floatation.

These are $25 and look the same on screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Malone-Standard-Block-Universal-Carrier/dp/B000SXQCVA

Woops, these look more like mine, a little bigger....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WXRPKGG39EFK5X1KJ1S

Don't be afraid to cut deeper vees to better form fit the boat.

And remember it is the "V" to widely spaced points from the ends of the boat to corners of the car that will keep it all centered, so you probably want to use 4 ropes, and ropes that don't stretch much. Just compress the foam blocks a LITTLE and recheck tension often.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

7. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

You could go with the lower cost foam block & strap kits, but I would suggest if you go this route you have good tie-down mounts on the kayak. The Northstar tie downs don't look tough...they look cosmetic compared to many tie downs that pierce the hull. Beef up the bow/stern boxes with some extra material to ensure you have good tie downs.

That's a lower cost alternative that will work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.