Roberts 30 flush cockpit and other puzzles

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Youngsalt, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Youngsalt

Youngsalt Junior Member

Hello one and all, I am new to this site, 23, live in Australia and am a third year unofficial boat building apprentice.

I have just purchased a reasonable Robert's 30 (34 LOA) built in 1973 with the intention of fixing it up and going a sailing.

The Cockpit is practically flush with maybee 400mm of coaming around it, It has cavernous storage below and raised seats on top which use netting as backrests.

The raised seats are almost aft of the tiller so i assume that when i am sailing i am supposed to be sitting on the coaming or the cockpit floor.

I did a little research and found that flush cockpits are good for cruising but you lose out on the comfort factor a little bit.

I think it is a good design because it allows lots of storage below and good visibility however if water does come in to the cockpit there is no step between the cockpit and companion way hatch, and it could be easier to fall off of.

Anyone have any insights in to the world of flush - semiflush cockpits, comments or suggestions for modifications?

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

If you can, picture will be nice.
    Daniel

3. Youngsalt

Youngsalt Junior Member

Here's one, the angle of it is a little funny but you can see the raised seats and the tiller. cheers.[​IMG]

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Really baaaaaaaaad
    But the blue bucket is apropriate :D

[​IMG]

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Is that "Roberts" probably "Bruce Roberts" ???

Daniel,
    thats not bad! Thats insane.

Regards
    Richard

6. Youngsalt

Youngsalt Junior Member

I think the bucket is for sitting on if you want to steer fwd of the tiller :D Ok, It's bad... I can accept that.. Insane... i almost like that. any constructive criticism :idea: for making it safer? apart from turning it back in to a normal cockpit. on the plus side theres plenty of space below if you survive it. yep bruce roberts is the designer, sorry I should have been clearer on that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.