Rig Suggestions for Outrigger Canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MastMonkey, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MastMonkey

MastMonkey Junior Member

I am in the early phases of building an outrigger sailing canoe from plans bought from Gary Dierking. I am building the 24' Wa'apa as a trimaran. The trimaran version, with the tacking bermuda, jib, and asymmetrical rigging really appealed to me. Now though I cam considering other rigging options. I will primarily be sailing on SF Bay. One feature I have decided I would really like to have is easy reefing. My mobility is limited so ideally I would be able to reef with out having to move much about the boat. I have long been fascinated by Junk rigs and it became my first consideration, perhaps being rigged as a Cat or Ketch. Despite qualms about its performance, I think it suits my needs well. I realize that there are many choices and preferences in rigs and have been considering other options. My criteria are: I can easily reef it, it is stowable, can be constructed or purchased economically (my budget for this boat is currently about 3k), and is a good match for the sailing characteristics of the outrigger canoe.

On Gary's blog he has several pictures of Tahitian version using Sprit rigs and I think the tacking version included in his plans suggest it, but having never sailed a sprit rig I am not certain how it is reefed. I have also considered the Batwing sail and the Gaff, which I would reef by scandalizing. I have sailed dinghies were the main is furled around the mast and really like this setup but am uncertain of its feasibility on a larger sailing canoe.

My ideal goal would be to be able to single hand this boat; not because I like sailing alone, but because sometimes it is a necessity. Thank you all for any suggestions you have. Having been a long time reader (and dreamer) of this site and these forums I really respect everyone's knowledge and experience.

Am I asking for too much in a rig?

2. Yerba1

Yerba1 New Member

easiest reefing in our neighborhood involves pre-rolled. Less mess and you don't need a frisbee in your lap.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

4. yipster

yipster designer

5. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

I use a lugsail on my outrigger canoe.

Good points, it comes down in seconds, which is a good safety feauture. It is really easy to use and is simple. My rig is a balanced lug with a bottom spar.

Downside, it might not point as high as a bermudan. I like it.

Bermudan takes a long long time to get down if there is a squall, a good minute or two, especially if you use a track, whereas a lugsail can come down in 5 seconds. A sprit sail may be similar in that you could remove the sprit and have the sail go down. I do not know if you had a Gaff sail with hoops or lacing if that would go down quickly, would the weight of the top spar allow the sail to drop in seconds, my guess is that if the top spar was heavy enough and if you had good low friction hoops it might welll do so.

If you look at Gary's website you can see some Samoan outrigger canoes with a Gaff sail and jib

peter evans

6. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

For a sprit sail you have to brail it to the mast if you want to douse it in a hurry. I am looking at various sail types for my boat that will help me get through bridges with minimum delay.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.