Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,717
International Marine Floatation Systems

Here is an interesting website on the subject, ....and just one photo of their many

http://www.floatingstructures.com/

INDEX of Subjects
Attached Thumbnails
Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-strobl-model-imfs.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Hi Brian,

A 'modern' take on the traditional Dutch/English liveaboard barge -

Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-living-office-kitchen.jpg

Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-backview-bangawalbyn.jpg

Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-housebarge.jpg

Currently for sale in Australia
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 AM

Rep: 1009 Posts: 4,506
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .
what are the rules about mooring in the river? Say anywhere along the Mississippi + tributaries

HAVE great anchors ,the spring runoff can reach 3-4K in places.

FF
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Rep: 2917 Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post
what are the rules about mooring in the river? Say anywhere along the Mississippi + tributaries

HAVE great anchors ,the spring runoff can reach 3-4K in places.

FF
Hi Fred,

As far as I am aware, you would have to ask the various states, counties, and communities what their laws and ordinances are. At the very least, many of our rivers are under the control of the US Army Corps of Engineers, and they have a number of rules that govern operations on the rivers, which I presume would include mooring a houseboat. Check with them first.

Eric
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 21
Instead of building the house on a pontoon boat or a raft, I've been thinking about putting a tiny house on a catamaran to make it more maneuverable. It wouldn't have to be fast, but it seems like it would be more stable and better able to take a little rough weather even close to shore. Does anyone know if there are companies that build the hulls and deck that could accommodate something like this? Does it even make sense? I'd feel better if someone who knew what they were doing built the hulls, and then I could add a house on top.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 AM

Rep: 1307 Posts: 1,946
Location: The heights of High Wycombe, not too far from River Thames
EscapeArtist,

Google is your friend. http://www.catamarancruiser.com/
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 AM

Rep: 1009 Posts: 4,506
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .
"At the very least, many of our rivers are under the control of the US Army Corps of Engineers, and they have a number of rules that govern operations on the rivers, which I presume would include mooring a houseboat. Check with them first.:"

A non moving house boats might be a problem , but a properly registered boat , with even minor power is simply Navigating (which includes anchoring) so no permission from the endless waves of buro rats would be required.

Far easier to just DO than beg in advance for "permission".

FF
Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 AM
masalai

Rep: 1882 Posts: 6,847
Well lots of different and interesting ideas, each to their own, so here is mine, sits nicely on its own bottom, and looks neat (a bit like a lagoon 41?) when floating (needs 3ft of water) and can travel nicely and safely island hopping at 10Knots @6 litres/hour (6L = 2.32 imperial gallons)... I only need shore facilities for fruit and vegetables if I catch some fish as I have PV panels space for 2275W, fuel capacity for more than 1200 litres can easily add RO watermaker @70L / hour, and have a 24V mascerating toilet and stern rail for the gents
Attached Thumbnails
Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-img_0840.jpg  Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-img_0854.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 21
Masalai that's a lot closer to what I was imagining as a cross between a catamaran and a houseboat. Can you tell me a little more about where you got it? Pericles, thanks for the link. I'd seen that, but my thought was that while those boats would be river-worthy,they might not be as seaworthy as what Masalai just posted. This boat has a decent amount of freeboard and plenty of clearance between the hulls.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
masalai

Rep: 1882 Posts: 6,847
Hi EscapeArtist,
I built it from a Bob Oram design. I understand Bob has retired and is no longer selling plans. Most of my build is here http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...ace-25962.html CNO is a bit over 40ft loa and about 21.5ft beam. It is designed to carry a hitch-hiker-dual-genoa-masthead rig - some info here Look Ma, No Rocker on the rig.

My mast step is there (where the radar is at the moment) and will hold 4500kg of compressive load and the 4 chainplates are inbuilt and each will take 3500 static pull - all are tied back to the bottom of the hulls...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeArtist View Post
Instead of building the house on a pontoon boat or a raft, I've been thinking about putting a tiny house on a catamaran to make it more maneuverable. It wouldn't have to be fast, but it seems like it would be more stable and better able to take a little rough weather even close to shore. Does anyone know if there are companies that build the hulls and deck that could accommodate something like this? Does it even make sense? I'd feel better if someone who knew what they were doing built the hulls, and then I could add a house on top.
If that link I added above still worked as it should have you would have found Aqua Lodge
http://www.catamarancruiser.com/id16.html

http://shantyboatliving.com/2011/commercially-built-aqua-lodge

Images for Aqua Lodge
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
new design to fit french canals

Hi all,

Last year I made this design.
It´s a self propelled houseboat that fits the slots and bridges in the french canals, so in europe you can go almost everywhere you´dd like.
It meets the CE-requirements class C(sheltered waters) and is fully self supporting by means of powersupply, potable and wastewater etc.
Let me know waht you think.

regards, Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home-woonboot-small.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM

Here is one of my favorite canal boat designs, Roi Soleil
Dutch Barge long distance cruisers

I particularly like the roof treatment and its ability to get this dbl level barge under the low bridges.

CadArt, you might consider posting your design over on this 'canal barge' subject thread. Meantime I'll take a closer look at your design once I get a few pressing projects out of the way. Thanks for posting, welcome to the forums.
Brian
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Unusual, Fancy Houseboats

Couple of unusual and fancy houseboats....video tours

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/the-dragon-boat

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/the-train-wreck

Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Great thread! I have learned a lot and discovered many helpful links here for more research. I love the idea of a floating barge type home. I haven't gotten much further than that, but I feel inspired now!

To the person that posted about the Thai style homes, I've had my eye on this kit for years. Maybe it could be adapted to be something workable?
http://www.tomahouse.com

Another favorite is this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...olest-pad.html

If anyone knows of new floating home communities, particularly in New England or Florida, I'd be very interested.