Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, Aug 25, 2008.

1. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

No, this really happens every year and has been for the last 20 years. This "houseboat" powered bo a single modest sized outboard crosses from West Palm Beach to the Abaco's every year. South Florida summer weather is very predictable.

In my misspent youth when I was indestructible I once sailed a Hobie 16 from Miami to Bimini (in company with 2 other Hobie 16's) a distance of about 55 miles across the gulfstream.

The Abaco's are a great place for being "there" (Marsh Harbor, a streetlight and major air connections) or completely isolated. Abaco Sound is ringed by islands, most uninhabited and many with absolutely beautiful beaches. Many of the people at the "cheesburger in paradise" party will jump in their inflatables and in 15 minutes be aboard their cruising sailboat anchored alone in a completely secluded cove where they might not have company for days.

Steve

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

.......a few photos from that slide show above...for those that could not access it

Attached Files:

3. brian eiland

...couple more

Attached Files:

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hot Dam Eric
    I really like those
    I'm not sure I can afford a retirement yacht but maybe I can afford one of your stylish designs instead

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Boston, glad you like them. Thanks. Eric

6. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

There's alreaady some really neat production houseboats on the market that look like cottages, but can be moved under their own outboard power. I believe that the maker is Catamaran Cruisers or something like that. It's the company that makes the Lil Hobo catamaran. I've also seen some of these as used vessels advertised in Yachtworld.com. They are quite spacious and even come with patio and picket fence for momma to plant her potted roses in. New, they aren't cheap but worthwhile. The original idea for this thread was to have a houseboat with some sort of second boat to move it. Equipped with solar panels or wind turbines, they would be more adaptable to moorings and the second boat used as a car to go grocery shopping with and replenish water supplies. No need to move a large35 to 50 foot boat to a marina and pay exorbitant dock fees. Built in the US, the boat can be documented and also avoid state and local taxes on boats.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Very nice Eric. I have always admired your work. My wife took one look and said Wow! And she is not (I do mean not) a boat person. But she likes your houseboats.

I have seen the Catamaran Cruiser houseboat that looks like a cottage and it is really cute, and my wife ooohed and aaahed over it the first time we saw one at a boat show. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with Catamaran Cruisers, and lets just say their attention to complying with ABYC standards is. uuuhhh...... lacking in detail. (of course that was 6 or 7 years ago and time may have changed things.)

8. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

And, thanks again, Peter. Eric.

9. brian eiland

Aqua Lodge

I assume that 6 or 7 years ago they were not building these ...
    Aqua Lodge
    Water Condo", "Floating Cottage", "Cabin on the Water" are typical descriptions of Catamaran Cruisers' newest houseboat concept. With the comforts of a cozy cottage and the mobility of a houseboat, the Aqua Lodge is perfect for just sitting at the marina or cruising out to your favorite quiet cove. Thoughtfully designed and beautifully finished inside and out the Aqua Lodge features a wood-beamed lofted ceiling, a fully appointed galley, and a full bath with residential sized fixtures. The main salon is open and bright, while the master stateroom features a panoramic water view and a private deck. With the cost of building on the waterfront ever increasing, the Aqua Lodge is an affordable alternative.

I saw a few of these down in Annapolis MD, and they looked quite appealing as they were decorated up. I can't vouch for any of the construction qualities, but then again these are NOT seagoing vessels.

From my investigations thus far it does appear as though the real problem is 'Where To Put Them'. Who will allow them?

A friend of mine here on the MD portion of the Chesapeake Bay tells me the DNR has virtually outlawed 'floating barges' other than commerical cargo ones. I also hear that one of the primary marina locations that were going to host Eric's vessels is embroiled in lots of legal action....don't know any details.

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, and they will even live in houseboats too ;)

Given that they are so starved for land, they would live in a chicken coop on the side of a hill.

Come to think of it - the English are just as bad. :)

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

RW,

I met a chap in a pub (I know it's a hackneyed line) and he mentioned that his father-in-law was trying to interest investors in floating moorings on the Thames for Dutch style developments, because building on flood plains is restricted, yet there is a huge demand for riverside properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CookhamLockReach01.JPG

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

With rising oceans, the people who buy houseboats may have the last laugh yet.

The biggest appeal for me, is that if you get the wrong neighbours, you can just move without the trouble of selling. Caravans are too thin walled to block out party noise for me, and they cant float off to some secluded waterside place on the weekend.

Mind you, neither can those awfull floating houses that the Americans dote on- which is great, because that would spoil the view there too.

14. CaptainShan

CaptainShan New Member

Tennessee River

JuiceClark,
    you mentioned people living aboard along the Tennessee River. this was a post back in 2008. I am just now starting to look at this more seriously and l live in Florida, where you would think there would be an abundance of live aboard opportunities, but the marina fees are high. I had to sell my Pearson which was really too small to live aboard anyway, but now I am reevaluating. I am looking at places along rivers for an affordable option.
    So, back to my original question, "Where abouts along the Tennessee is there such facilities?"
    Thanks,
    Captain Shan

15. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Capt,

Pretty much anywhere along the tenn river is pretty cheap. But then you can buy an acre of waterfront in some areas for ~$20,000.

There are still a lot of cheap slips on the gulf coast between Biloxi and new Orleans.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.