Repower an old 23' Seabird

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dan H, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Dan H

Dan H Junior Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1967 23’ Seabird power boat. Boat is in great shape, outdrive is old. It looks like the Merc 800 but it is not electric shift. The hull is in great shape. The engine is shot.

I have a 1965 wood 22’ Chris Craft with a 327F engine and drive complete.

I would like to pull the drive out of the Chris Craft and install it in the Seabird complete. Build a center console also.

Is this idea completely nuts?
    I understand all the mechanical aspects of installing this power package, rebuilding the transom, big long engine stringers, fuel tank, rudder etc., but I’m wondering about the stability of this setup.
    Moving the CG is a big concern as always. I don’t think I’m moving the CG that far. Not as far as these guys did. Not as far as these guys did. I don't think I could go out in this boat.

I will probably contact a marine architect to make sure it’s OK but are there any big problems with doing this?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A naval architect, unless he is a buddy and works for beers, will charge you more than the boat is worth. A vee drive may work, but will rise the CG. If you have a good engine, a used outdrive can be a solution.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.