Renderings of our new model, would like some building help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by raffshore, Mar 18, 2014.

1. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

Hi, I posted this in the wood forum but I think I might have more backfeed here :

Since a couple of years we are building (very) high performance waterski raceboats. I designed it early 2000 and since I have build 19 boats that are competing are being used as a pleasure boats.

A couple of years ago I had my hand build plug reverse engeneered and since I have been doing all the 3D drawing myself

on my FB page there are tons of pictures : www.facebook.com/RaffshorePowerboats

I have the idea now to build a high performance wooden version, based on the race proven V hull design.

My inboard version with a mercruiser HP500 and bravo drive does 88MPH all day long and that a 1480kg race ready boat (with 200L of fuel in it)

The idea is to use a fiberglass/polyester (or vinylester or epoxy) bottem and to use marine mahogany (or look alike) plywood for the sides and deck.

I would like some ideas and input for the build off the hull sides and deck since I am relatively new to this.

With a 7/16 (10 - 11mm) sheet of plywood I can use the exsisting mold to create the sides of the hull since the bends are not to aggresive.

The inside hull sides I would cover also with epoxy or vinylester and glass to make sure it will be a long lasting product.

Questions that I have are :
    Should I cover the outside with glass?
    What producs to use for the finish of the wood
    What products should I use to color the wood to the desired darkness of the wood?
    How to make the deck lines etc

If there is any interest here I can show the build here.

Thanks,

Raf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The boat seems lovely, as I said in another thread started by you.
    Before you start building it, I'd like you to reflect, or rather you to confirm me the following points, without being exhaustive :
    • the boat will be used only for navigate.
    • never need to anchor in a small cove, beautiful, a few meters from the beach.
    • no one can swim from the boat.
    • no one can do waterski with this boat.
    • always dock at quay side so that access to the boat should always be from the side.
    • not necessary that the windshield is higher because the wind will not disturb passengers.
    • When they make a lot of sun (as you can´t put umbrella), they will return home.
    • exhausts seem to be free, do not go across the motor tail. But the huge noise (do not forget the noise pollution) and smoke on the engine(s) will not mind anyone.
    Thank you for your patience

3. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

Ok,

Swim platform is done :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A little bit better.
    The tail of the engine is too high. You should lower it and also exhausts.
    Probably bathers prefer to have a ladder.

5. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

the ladder is under the platform :)

Actually X dimension is something that I always determine for the use of the boat. I did a lot of testing and with a bravo drive the best X dimension is the prop 7 cm under the boat (with the big 5blade prop from mercruiser we went as high as 3cm, but that's very hard on the drive) . This is for high speed and high hp numbers.
    If I a customer would put in a 300 hp and would want a normal 85km/h pleasure boat off course we put the drive much lower.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

ladder: it does not seem very appropriate that position.
    motor tail :I have a 24' motor boat, 350 hp and the tail is lower, of course.

7. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

? this is what i mean

[​IMG]

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is difficult to guess, looking at your render, that is what you meant.
    That platform, how high is placed, above or below the exhaust pipes?
    Have you thought about how you can tie the boat to the dock?
    All that huge space there fore, can´t you take advantage of it in any way?. Could ventilate?
    How is the main engine compartment ventilation?

9. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

The platform is about 8 cm above the water (measured on my inboard in the water, exhaust (if desired open) is under the platform.
    I have used the mercruiser technical drawings to make sure the engine goes under the hatch.
    The space before the windsreen :
    1. under deck storage for whatever what
    2. Bowrider if desired by customer.

off course we can provide anker storage with a bow roller on the deck in front.

Engine ventilation will be done with air scoops in the sides or engine hatch

Yes, I will use pop up cleats (but it's to much work to draw!)

Just for you I made the windscreen higher :)

[​IMG]

10. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

I like the exhaust tips up high. Silent choice thru the prop when in a noise restriction zone.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, very nice, very sporty but I can assure you that the noise is huge (thinking on about 350 hp) and smoke may annoy any navigation not very high speed.
    When the skier tries to go up or down, if you do not stop the engine, he will not go very well.
    raffshore, no need to change anything for me. Do it for the passengers.

12. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

Hi tansl, I know I was just kidding, just want to point out that all we build is always custom made, if someone would want a cabin cruiser we also could do it

thanks for the comments all.

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

raffshore, from the first moment I realized it was all a joke because there are so many inconsistent elements that make the boat, as a boat and in my opinion, totally impossible. As I said in another thread, as decoration is very nice but as a boat to enjoy it, sailing, water skiing, swimming, visiting beautiful beaches, dock and undock in a marina, etc.. is an imposible artifact. Not to mention the amount of space that is totally wasted. Anyway, in my opinion, have to work hard on this, "render" to make it a pleasure boat.
    Based on a speedboat has tried to make a pleasure boat and so far, has not been achieved. I have addressed the issue because you were asking for advice to build and, of course, I think before you start building it, would have to fix some things. Of course, if I can help to the best of my knowledge, I will happy
    Cheers

14. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

Yes off course but you must not forget 1 thing.

You can buy a 9000 to 20000 euro car to drive your kids to school or some people a 125000 euro Porsche.

From a rational point of view, the Renault has more comfort, more space, less fuel consumption, and cost much less a KM then the Porsche...

But Porsche was in 2013 the healthiest car company in the world.

I am not trying to build a 7M runabout that already exists.

What I want to make is a classic looking High Performance speedboat.

but thank you for your input !!

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Porsche cares for the comfort of its passengers. Your boat, I think not.
    No need to thank, it has been a pleasure.
    Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.