Renderings of our new model, would like some building help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by raffshore, Mar 18, 2014.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

A very nice looking, sleek craft. I think you might start designing a removable sun cover for it as many potential buyers will be requesting one. Also it will protect the seating and laydown from the sun's UV rays or they will soon start to crack. That whole rear curved panel could be designed
    like the trunk of a car and lift up as a whole piece to access the engine. The same may be true for the front deck ahead of the windshield to access anchor locker and storage area (life jackets) water skies, ropes, lots of stuff..No one ever has enough storage space on a boat.................................
    I would make those spaces Locking needing a key to open. What are the dimensions of the boat?
    Also, where are you located?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

I am located in belgium europe.
    It measures 7m10 x 2m20 like it's sitting now

All good ideas! Thanks

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I would use recessed floor sockets for the base and use aluminum or stainless steel tubing that snap
    together for the frame (s) and adhesive the snaps or turn buckles to the windshield
    then a quality fabric for the cover. All this should just take a couple of minutes to erect and take down, and roll together together in a narrow 5'or 6'long ball to store either fore or aft. With your computer skills you can easily make various profiles to see what looks real good. I have to do it all by hand, as I have limited computer skills. I look forward to seeing some of your elevations. Stan PS checkout gym equipment for larger floor sockets-they use them for all sorts of stuff to put up quickly. I feel this is very important as people are very aware of the damage the sun can do to skin and some can no longer handle direct sun light (ME) without cover and lotions. 50 years in the sun and now at age 72 my skin is shot and can no longer take any direct, hot sunlight.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

raffshore, you might consider increasing the size to about 24' x 8' ( whatever that is in meters as that is a popular size in USA for family boaters who water ski and also like to go fast. Also, that size will handle 6 adults and a few kids depending on seating layout. Many families go boating together and share toe cost of operating the boat. especially with the cost of fuel these days. Just my 2 bits (opinion) Maybe offer 2 models????

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

rasoric, gathering your knowledge of boats and ease of rendering that has raffshore, you might get something interesting. But I do not see raffshore very inclined to accept changes in his "boat".

6. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

I wish they cared more for the comfort of my 944s. They didn't design near as much comfort as they did performance.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Well the wood frame Morgan (brits) Was just the smoothest ride I ever had except for driving a CAT over rocks.

8. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

Lol.......... I bet it was a good ride

9. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

Hi again,

@Tansl, I do "want" to change on my boat whatever a customer wants. But as you must know, 3D drawing and rendering isn't "easy" at all, I takes alot alot of time, just for the sake of it I did a fast bimini, total 3 hours of drawing, I know it needs now alot of adapting (lower? mayby shorter? longer?) I know it needs to be easy to mount and take back off.

I am 40 years old and I have been boating since I was 5 years, since 20 years I have a boat yard in Belgium. I spend a lot of my (precious) free time on the water, We waterski alot, During our holidays in Spain we are on the water everyday with our 6m50 Lomac Rib. My dad has a 1973 Van Lent (mahogany/steel) of 18,5 m that we use regulary during the weekends.

The renderings that I show here I make to get an idea of how the boat can look and to have opinions on the design. And I appreciate every comment that is made. And I will use a lot features when building it, but drawing all these great features is to time consuming at this point.

Currently (thanks to this site!) I was contacted by a boat builder who is asking me to design a new boat for their line.

So to set record straight, I am well aware that a drawing is not a boat and that things like storage, anker, mooring, fridge, space for fenders & ropes, etc etc have to be considered when building it.

I have a customer who's very interested in this boat and i have 70% chance to get the build done.

We might be using the new Mercruiser 4,2 diesel engine (the audi V8 based)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi Raffshore,
    that is pretty much what happens when you start with the 3D instead of using 2D first, for the study of preliminary layout and external lines. I do realize that any change becomes very difficult to implement at this point, especially if you work with non-parametric software like Rhino. But it would not have happened if you had presented a 2D drawing first, gathered opinions and then applied the necessary changes before creating the 3D model.

That was just a thought from me for the next time you happen to design one. :)
    Good luck with the project!

Cheers

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Raffshore , I am very glad of the big hits that apparently going to have with your boat . I 'm somewhat older than you and I did water skiing before you were born . Also I have more than 40 years doing work on ships, in shipyards, naval technical offices, etc. . and more than 40 years that I have my own boat, of different sizes but always speedboats. Therefore, in my opinion, I know boats as designer and user .
    So again I insist, when someone asks for advice to build his boat, the first thing he needs is to have a boat and not a decorative object . And I think that a ship is considered as such , inter alia, when living , useful to humans. Your boat, in my opinion, has to undergo many changes, many things must be added , before thinking of building it. That is simply what I think . But if someone wants to , as you seem to indicate , build " that " boat , I canĀ“t say anythinng. he knows better tan me what to do with his money.
    I advise you once again to transform that beautiful object that you created into a boat.
    Fortunately, for centuries, precious boats are built without renderings. A boat can be done without renderins but a rendering can not make a boat. You have to work much, and I can assure you, design a boat is much more work that all you can do with your renderings.
    If you need help, I'll be happy to provide it.
    Cheers

12. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

Hi, I use sketchup, not Rhino :)

The problem for me isn't 3d or 2d, I can change whatever I want, the problem is that for example drawing a cleat, anker roller, or whatever is time consuming and (for me) isn't adding any value to the design at this point.

Also, when you do small custom productions you must not "over" devellop the boat because the cost will be much to high.

What I want to say is, if a customer wants have a red, green or teal interiour, that's his choice, bimini, fuel or diesel engine, open exhaust or not etc, pop up cleats or regular, radio or not, etc etc, that's not going to change anything for me at this point.
    Even the engine cover, if someone doesn't want it in wood but use it as a sun deck, everything is possible

I did the drawings to see if the lines and measurements I had figured out in my head would make sense and I am glad they do.

People tell me it looks beautifull because of the simple and classic lines and that is the most important part for me at this point.

I do realise that this is not a boat that's going to go into mass production. If we build it (them) It will be all one offs made to specific needs of any given customer.

13. raffshore

raffshore Junior Member

some boats that I have build :
    (I have 100's of pics also from builds if people are interested)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Nice boats. :)

P.S.
    I have sent you a private message about an important issue (not related to your design). Please check it out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.