Remote control boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by warlordseven, Jan 15, 2005.

1. warlordseven

warlordseven New Member

Hi,

I am currently working on an assignment to design a remote control boat. The main concern of the boat design will be the precision in controling the movement of the boat and the cost of the design. Thus, any people has any suggestion on which type of boat design is most suitable and the type of material used in constructing the boat.

Thanks.

2. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

3. Is the boat to be used illegally? Your request seems unusual.

4. Bern

Bern Junior Member

Boat size?

It will make a big difference, depending on the boat size. Is this a model boat, or a full scale one?

5. There are thousands of RC boats of all sizes for sale in stores. Why not copy a design? You are from Singapore?

6. warlordseven

warlordseven New Member

Hi,

It will be a model boat which is able to travel on water using a remote control pad. Thus, I will need some information on what are the stuff that I need to consider in designing the boat structure.

7. warlordseven

warlordseven New Member

Hi,

I am supposed to build a boat out of very primitive materials since the cost of the boat consists of quite a major part in the grading of my assignment. Basically, I just need some information on the structure of the boat. For example, where should the motor be situated and the recommended type of motor (DC, servo, stepper etc) used for the boat.

8. Cedric BLANC

Cedric BLANC New Member

HI, I'm new to this forum,
    Curently studying in uk, I am wondering if there is any other rc sailing maniacs in london and if yes, where do you usualy sail?

9. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Look for anything by Thor Fossen.

What is the design mission? Is the boat to precisely maintain a stationary position in a seaway, or is it to maneuver with precision in flat water? Is there a minimum or maximum speed? The first thing you need to do is to clearly state and understand the requirements. What you choose for controls will be heavily influenced by the answer to these questions. For example, some kind of hydrofoil (rudders, stabilizing fins) will be great at high speed and nearly useless for stationkeeping.

10. warlordseven

warlordseven New Member

Hi,

The requirements are actually quite simple. It just need to be able to maneuver with precision in flat water and there is no restriction on the speed. The other concern is the cost of the boat. The total construction of the boat need to be less than 300 sing dollar.

11. sqmaster666

sqmaster666 RC Designer

Hello

well if you want precision turning without worrying that much about speed i'd go with a single hulled duel motor boat, or if you do want more speed do double hulled duel ruddered boat I can send you a basic sketch of one if you want

12. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

Google "RC boats". There are hundreds of pages with all the hardware electronics and hulls ( if you don't want to build your own ), plus plenty of advice about putting it all together. Also lots of "toy" boats around with very basic electronics that could be sacrificed. I you have to start from scratch the circuits for basic controls are out there as well.

13. sqmaster666

sqmaster666 RC Designer

I need advice on how to set up the elctronics on my boat how do i go about that(the servo's and reciver and the speed controller ect..)

14. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

There are a fair few other threads on this forum that deal with similar projects. I suggest you search for them and have a read. A good book on the subject is "An introduction to marine modelling" but I have completely forgotton who wrote it. you should be able to find it on amazon though. Also, find a few books in the library on Radio Control Systems. there are 3 bands in Europe, 27MHz (land + water) 35MHz (aircraft only) 40 MHz (land + water + air). I would go with 27 MHz to keep the costs down.

Read around the subject a bit,

Tim B.

15. sqmaster666

sqmaster666 RC Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.