Recommended texts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by losixfor, Mar 26, 2010.

1. losixfor

losixfor New Member

Hello, I am new to the fourm and boat design as well. I'm looking at designing and building a rowing shell. It will be a two man sculling boat used for competition, with sliding seats and the hole bit. I would like to be able to rig the boat for solo recreational/workout use as well. I've searched a few threads and found one in paticular that was interesting, but wasn't really what I had in mind.

To give you a little bit of my back ground, I have a mechanical engineering degree and I've been around boats my entire life. When I was a child I built a boat for a weed eater engine. It didn't end up working very well due to some serious cavitation problems. Since then I've never thought about designing a new boat until now. However, I do consider my self somewhat skilled with my hands as well. I've done some boat repair in the past as well as other major fiberlgass projects. I was on the rowing crew in college and now that I'm a few years into my career (I do work in design, however its a totally unrelated field) I'm thinking about getting back into the sport.

Anyways, I have no idea where to start. Can someone recommend me a text for this type of boat that someone with my technical background can appreciate. I'm unfamiliar with boat related design terminology and what the important parameters to design for are. I want to educate myself before starting so I don't waste a time and money. Basically I'm admitting I know nothing about boat design, however working in design grants me access to design software pro-engineer, autocad, and hopefully in the near future we can get our fluent license back $$$.

I appreciate your time and any respones I recieve.

Aaron

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hello,
    You could start here: http://www.greenval.com/jwinters.html - in particular the last 3 links are a very nice primer on design of kayaks (and rowing shells in general):
    "The Shape of the Canoe, Part 1: Frictional Resistance"
    "The Shape of the Canoe, Part 2: Residual Resistance"
    "The Shape of the Canoe, Part 3: Applying the Theory"

Also, take a look at Leo Lazauskas' page about kayaks:
    http://www.cyberiad.net/kayak.htm
    some excellent info over there, too.

Hope that will help. Cheers!

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Read Dave Gerr's "The Nature of Boats" to get an idea why boats are designed the way they are. Many useful analysis are shown, rule of thumb formulae, examples, pitfalls, etc..
    However, boat designers out there know considerably more than that book could teach due to specialization. So the next step would be to know exactly what boat you want to build. Then there are a lot of books out there.
    I could be wrong, but I believe Graham(e?) KIng has written on rowing shells.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

5. losixfor

losixfor New Member

thank you everyone for the recomendations so far

6. mike1

mike1 Junior Member

Hi Aaron, seems like we're travelling down a simlar route, care to contact me off list?.
    Mike

7. losixfor

losixfor New Member

Mike, that sounds fine. How would you like to contact one another?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.