A real off the wall question for Rick Willoughby

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BHOFM, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I find it fascinating too to explore. Water always runs out before I do :D Mostly I'm adicted to the feel of being on water. I like sailing off lately, so, I must work on the boat... or never get it done :)

The red chart the heartbeat there :D (just kiddin)

I'm not addicted to endorphin, I'm just addicted.

2. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

There is nothing like the feeling of having your body wake up after a long period of dormancy. After you get done feeling like ya gotta puke, that is.

3. MLampi

MLampi Junior Member

Last Saturday was the Cascade Distance Race in Renton, WA. Since almost everyone was doing the short race (5.1 miles) rather than the long (13 miles) I decided to do the short race as well.

As this race is no longer a Sound Rowers race, I didn't bother with a camera.

There were at most half the number of competitors this year. Still, it went rather well, with a fairly fast start and even with fewer racers I had some decent competition.

Second place overall wasn't too bad, with a time of just over 45 minutes, 6.8 mph average speed.

Michael Lampi

Attached Files:

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Mike
    That is a very good pace. The little GPS must help the concentration. You will be outpacing the rowing shells soon.

Rick W

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You guys take GPs's ? Are you scared of getting lost while you row ? No come on you guys I mean really :D

6. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

No. The concern is dying. The little Garmin units used provide speed, distance travelled, pedal cadence and engine heart rate. When you are my age it is the latter that counts. Mike is a bit younger I believe so may be not as critical for him. I do not work above 160bpm for long periods. I note Mike held very steady rate near 160bpm for the race apart from one brief period.

Just remembered. They will also provide elevation if the waves are that big.

Rick W

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he... I was waiting for that :D Sounds like my dad used to :D

The difference is I sit locked up here, the most exersize I get is when I walk fast to the the vitamins, so if I suddenly disappear off the forum, you will know I got a heart attack while fetching the post from the front gate, whitch is about 10 meter's walking :D

Why do you thing I'm so bloody desperate to get the boat going :D Nothing to do with fishing or sailing or fun on it, I need the exersize :D

8. MLampi

MLampi Junior Member

On some of the longer races I've been uncertain as to which inlet to enter or which side of some island I encounter I'm supposed to go around. A GPS has been quite useful in helping make the proper decision.

On all of the races the GPS has been helpful in telling me if weeds have fouled the propeller or are hanging from the rudder. The difference in difficulty pedaling when only a few strands are on the prop versus a clean prop might not be readily discernable, but the speed difference when pedaling at 80 rpm with a fouled prop and a clean prop is easily measured by the instrument.

The GPS is also useful in helping to decide where one is making better progress with or against currents. Sometimes being closer to shore is good, other times being further out in a channel is good.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi MLampi

I'm just mocking you rowers a bit. We don't even have big dames (lakes) here and one get lost very easy especially if you wander in some of the side sloops which is like a dam on it's own.

Only trouble is when the water level goes low you may have to carry the boat through some shortcuts :D

10. MLampi

MLampi Junior Member

BTW, while I did outpace a rowing shell at this race, I have no misconceptions about going faster than the *real* rowers who attend the Sound Rowers events. Those guys are about 1 to 2 mph faster on average.

Of course, they also tend to be on the water practicing every day or two, while I merely do a running workout every other day or so. It seems the only times I'm on the water is for a race.

Michael

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.