RATS - Motor Sailers again...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Why am I so stuck on 22 feet LOA - perhaps the manageability of moorage costs on my existing boat...

Why am I so stuck on standing headroom...

Why do I like retracting bulb keels and rudders...

I spent a good part of my honeymoon in Cornwall England with my wife and her father - went gaga at all the old tiny bilge keeled motor sailer 'tubs' - photos below from an advanced search on www.boats.com ...

Guess it's time to change directions again - thats the beauty of computers isnt it - no commitment of materials - build space lease - tooling...

Below are some rather small MS 's - some rather ugly ones to boot - but like tugs and other workboats - the charm is there - until you get up into the large Fischers there is very little space to build a 'yachtie'...

Anyway - chop 3 feet off the old motor sailer and I get a 22 - there you go...

SH.

Attached Files:

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi Sean,

I can relate to your 22 ft. The little 20ft Flica by Bruce Bingham is also a great little cruiser with loads of charm.

The best boat I ever had was a little steel 24ft Tom Thumb by Grahame Shannon I build. I changed the design a bit, dropped the full keel for a fin, extended the cabin roof by 3ft. This created interior space Onasasis would have been proud of.

Nothing beat that classic look, bowsprit,plumb bow, and real shearline and yes, she did go like crackers, sailing with much larger yachts in races.

Best of all Sean, she was affordable, wish I can have her back........

Post some pictures of her when my scanner is home again from the repair people.

Go well buddy

Wynand

3. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Thanks for reply...

Hello...

I think I will stay focused on this little psuedo pilot house motor sailer - it suits my needs - my sailing grounds - my budget - and the time I would have for a build if it gets to that point...

Aside from that it suits 'my eye' also - the other 'Fat Egg' just looks stupid - like one of those old Bayliner jobs - the only way to stand up in such short length that still looks rational is what I have here - so thats the call...

It would also be - I imagine quite bright and airy with all that glass - for its size - rig needs to be shortened - windage at the dock will be tricky but heh - I want to stand up and sail year round - so...

Yup...

SH.

4. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

I really like the design, though it will have to be matched to the waters you wish to use it on. I've done a smaller version with a hull very similiar and it doesn't really like a short chop, but otherwise is a nice boat. Will never be fast, but doubt that was a requirement in the first place.

Bill H.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.