Radical new mini

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Manie B, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

This is interesting

a flat nose mini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ymsD717eg&feature=related

to me it doesn't really gel, when it hits a wave surely it should slow, this is contrary to the high speed wave piercing concepts of today

anybody speak French and let us know WHY ??

This flies against the grain like nothing else

Attached Files:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I havnt got my glasses on --is it going backwards

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Cute little fellow...like a Bull Dog.

4. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

The new record setting mini is just starting to approach the shape of a scow or a windsurfer. The days of the delta shape planform are over (wide stern, pointy bow).

The scow shape, when heeled, results in everything you want in a fast sailboat:
    1) Very low wetted surface, as the heeled form immerses just the soft (rounded) turn of the bilge.
    2) Long thin immersed shape that is aligned with motion, rather than crabbing sideways as does a delta planform. This reduces wave drag substantially.
    3) Stability is far better, as the immersed form is fully at the maximum beam from bow to stern, providing 1/2BxD instead of 1/3BxD, for a 50% increase in stability at the same displacement.

5. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Racing rules have been distorting boats for years. Plank on edge, sandbaggers, IOR, ect. ect.

6. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

Manie B
    You've posted a picture of Team Work Evolution which just blew the doors off all the other competitors in the mini trans sat. There are several threads on this radical design started by Doug Lord. It was fast up wind and down wind and had several 200+ mile days in the mini trans sat. Not bad for a 21' boat.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I've experienced this for years--once healed over (needed alot of wind) my blunt nosed double ended 26footer lifeboats could match and often out sailed anything in her equivalent waterline length. It caused alot of frustration with the gloved handed, matching attired, self tailing winch crowd---Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

scows

Inland lake scows, (Melges and others), have been shaped like that, and gone fast for many years- I wonder why it hasn't been tried sooner? If nothing else, think how much more foot room there could be in a "V"? berth:D B

10. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I don't speak French, but I can think of four good reasons why.

1.) Mini's sail mostly downwind in most races, so there is less chance of the squared off bow slamming into waves rather than slicing through them.
    2.) The buoyant, squared bow doesn't dig in when running before the wind like a pointed bow does, lessening the chance of the boat pivoting around it and broaching.
    3.) Since there is far less bow curve from side to side, the curve must be up and down. As the boat goes faster, water is stuffed under the bow instead of being pushed aside. This raises the bow, putting the boat in a planing attitude.
    4.) Mini's are designed to a 'Box Rule', which limits maximum Beam, maximum Length and maximum Draft. Once those limits are reached, the game is to get the maximum righting moment and minimum drag within those limits. The scow hull form does this in two ways:
    A.) It allows the Center of Heeled Buoyancy to shift further to leeward than a pointed bow boat of the same Beam, increasing the Righting Arm, and
    B.) Since it has wider sections up front, its average depth can be less, allowing a much easier run fore and aft for the same displacement. When heeled, scows present a much straighter run than when upright. With a pointed bow boat, especially a sharply pointed double ender, the opposite is true (but only if the scow's bow and stern transom corners don't dig in).

The scow hull form is about the lowest cost means of getting high speed from a sailboat. The multihull is the next.

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well folks
    this boat is going to change things
    lots being written about it after the win - good stuff

isn't it interesting that this "PD" copy doesn't look stupid anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puOZHmgnj9s&feature=related

all of a sudden even myself is looking at a flat nose in a different light

:D:D:D:D

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Some traditional Dutch boats also have rather blunt bows though they would not be considered high performance today. Traditional shapes were almost certainly strongly influenced by tradtional construction methods, in particular how wood likes to bend. "Molded" construction allows much more freedom in shape.

13. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Frosty, it's a sailing landing craft....:p

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

While I think David Raison's outstanding achievement with the scow design coupled with his brilliant sailing deserves every bit of credit he is getting ,there is a new "revolution" waiting in the wings. Hugh Welbourn's DSS mini will be almost a 100% opposite to the scow-it is very narrow and uses a hydrofoil to develop additional righting moment. I will follow this boat closely and am awaiting more info from Hugh Welbourn-but it seems to have enormous potential:

click on image:

Attached Files:

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its porbably a copy of a hull with a round nose on it so the judge cant do em in for copy rights.

Happens all the time ,--a little strake here and there or a rounder nose. Oh no --nothing like your boat!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.