Radical new mini

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Manie B, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Collin, I think we are talking about different things. In my post #46 I was addressing the rep of scows for poor upwind performance, and wondering if a typical scow was unable to heel sufficiently to reduce hydrodynamic drag. This might be true in light airs, but in heavy conditions where the buoyant bow would make a difference there would be no difficulty getting enough lift from the sail to heel it. Insufficient wind on the beam would only apply on a reach, so my question was poorly phrased.

Nonetheless, the sail of a boat close to the wind produces the maximum lift and minimum drag. Just like an aircraft wing, a sail’s lift is produced normal to its surface. Unfortunately, when close hauled most of the lift goes into heeling the boat not driving it along.

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

3. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

And powerful grinding machine to grind off some skin thickness to make it lighter :D.

By the way, traditional Dutch boats look absolutely terrible shape in plan view -almost square ends -but sail quite well, when heeled.
    And do not go forward readily with powerful engines -because engine push them with no heel :confused:.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

One was aluminium and I had no alum. welding capability at the time-- so prefabed the keel at a local machine shop with a fastening flange. Fastened it with something like 400 sealed headed 3/16 marine pop rivets bedded in 3m 5200 caulking --not one leak--sold on 3m 5200 after that. The other ya could have grinded off 1/4 inch of the skin and still had lots.
    Maybe those old builders knew their hull technology better than we thought-- cods head and all -- but just didn't have the little extra info to pull it all together. ---All in all Very interesting --Maybe i'll change the orientation of my keel by 180 deg. and present the blunter end as the bow :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.