Questions on a Displacement Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hershey2014, Aug 8, 2014.

1. hershey2014

hershey2014 Junior Member

I want to build an 18' boat with a 8' 6" beam. The hull would be a displacement type. The boat will be used mainly by seniors for fishing and cruising slowly around a small lake and would have a 6 x 7 pilothouse. A 9.9HP engine would be used to power the boat. I considered a flat bottom knowing this would be easier to build. What would you consider to be the limitations of this design?

I would consider something other than a flat bottom. I want to maintain stability but make sure the boat is not tippy when fishing with the motor off. I also need to keep draft to a minimum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best solution? Pictures would be great.

Thanks

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

How small is the "small" lake?

What has determined the dimensions and pilothouse size?

How many "seniors" to be carried?

3. hershey2014

Reply to DCockey

Lake is < 2 square miles. The boat will carry 5-6 people max. Pilothouse size determined by width and length for 2 on cold and wet days. This pilothouse size is an estimate and may change a little.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Would a pontoon boat with a pilothouse added work?

5. hershey2014

I am not interested in a pontoon boat. Thanks

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Do you have a particular design you are considering? Or have you seen a picture of a boat you think would work with some modifications?

Are you planning on designing the boat yourself or are you looking for plans?

Does the boat need to have a pointed bow or would a square bow be acceptable?

What type of construction - plywood on frames? welded aluminum?

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

18' length x 8 1/2' beam and minimum draft implies either a flat bottom or a shallow V-bottom.

8. hershey2014

Shallow Vee

It was suggested to me 5 degrees for a shallow vee would be fine. Any thoughts?

9. hershey2014

The boat would be aluminum, with pointed bow. I have seen planing boats this size that I like but they are pretty tippy for a mobility restricted senior. Some are available from Liquid Metal, Ironwood, and Silver Streak amongst others. Too much boat for my use and very costly. I want to have some options when I get a quote from builders. There are no aluminum plans out there that are commercially available. Just custom builds.

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Without more information about the design, a shallow V of X degrees will probably be fine as long as the chines are submerged for most/all of the length of the boat. If the shallow V continued to the stem I'd keep the chines submerged to the bow to avoid slapping in shallow waves.

I had a look at some of your previous posts. Are you interested in "micro tug" appearance?

11. hershey2014

MicroTug

Yes, I am looking at a variation of the mini tug I previously posted about. I like the look. There are number of wooden tug plans available but all seem to have a different hull. No consensus hull for that length and beam of boat.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The added complexity of a V bottom doesn't offer any advantages to offset the additional build effort and materials, plus it would be as initially stable as a flat bottom. 5 - 6, particularly if well fed adults is a hefty load for such a small boat, especially if swinging rods and tackle around, worse with a pilothouse eating up nearly half the boat's length.

Can you post some pictures of similar size boats that appeal to you?

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Attached Files:

14. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A flat bottom with hard chines has a tad more initial stability than a vee bottom of the same breadth. If built of aluminum, then some structural considerations come into play. The flat bottom will need a little bit more framing than the vee bottom. The vee bottom offers almost no advantage for a slow moving boat other than that.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The HB-18 from Bateau is a good option, simple to build, hefty payload, standing headroom in an enclosed pilothouse for those cold weather days, good static stability, etc. Not very pretty, but functional. It's a tapes seam build, so fairly high in goo factor and has a pretty large plywood requirement in it's BOM (31 sheets) for an 18' boat. I also think the 12 gallons of goo requirement is significant for a craft this size.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.