Query abt Concept

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by amateur mariner, Feb 26, 2009.

1. amateur mariner

amateur mariner Junior Member

Hi everybody!

Can somebody tell me the difference between construction and fabrication?I have several ideas and i m not sure what is the correct answer.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I would say that construction is a general term for building regardless of scale and complexity, but fabrication is limited to constructions that are simple "jobs".
    You might say you are constructing a boat, and you're having the stainless fittings fabricated at a local shop. Usually, a trade such as welding or some sort of specialization is involved. Factory-made parts are maunufactured, but not fabricated.
    So I'm trying to construct a good definition here, but It may be a bit of a fabrication.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Naahhh Alan, the answer was of good construction. IMHO:D
    The question might be substantiated by origin of amateur (anywhere). In many languages "construction" means "design, engineering" and not producing, assembling "constructing" as in English!
    Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.