:?: Project - Delft Series/Hullspeed - Analysis of VO70 hull.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jonny88, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jonny88

Jonny88 Junior Member

Hi all,

For my final year project I am analysing the difference between results gained from the Delft series and Hullspeed for the same "VO70 type" hull.

I have set up a spreadsheet of the Delft formulae and have entered all the data for series 1 through to 7. I've also put in the parameters from Maxsurf for the hull I've designed and have a large table of results for Fr = 0.15 - 0.75, using the formulae found in the International Conference on Innovation in High Performance Sailing Yachts paper: A bare hull resistance prediction method derived from the results of the delft systematic yacht hull series extended to higher speeds. Page 18.

For comparison purposes, series 1 and 2 are of little relevance as they were modelled with appendages so I'm concentrating on series 3-7. Having calculated resistance values for my VO70 type hull, I have come up with some strange values that are OK from Fr= 0.15 to 0.5 but then drop off dramatically after that to negative values and fluctuate around a lot up until Fr= 0.75.

Any ideas? I've checked, double checked and triple checked all calculations and formulas and all seems OK.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks.
    J.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.