practicality of plumb bows

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by srimes, Sep 11, 2008.

1. srimes

srimes Senior Member

For a non-racing boat, are plumb bows much of a liability? I'm concerned with the additional stress of bumping objects, where the plumb bow won't deflect the force they was a raked bow will.

Obviously speed is a big factor here, I'm thinking of a boat that'll cruise in the 15-20 knot range. Max speed maybe 25-30.

I'm thinking that a crash bulkhead a few feet back would be a good idea just in case.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thats of interest to me too srimes. My concern is the effect on turning at those sort of speeds.
    Would a plumb bow 'trip' the boat up a bit?

I am only re-assured by all those high speed plumb bow open ocean racers they used to have years ago.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

A plumb or near-plumb bow is a way to get the most boat in a given length. It is also the preferred configuration of classic boats and considered most visually appealing by many. I have a boat with a plumb bow that runs at the speeds you mention and have discovered no bad habits related to the bow shape.

Many prefer a long bow over hang for fast offshore boats and others go with plumb or even the reverse axe style for the same service. Adherents of either of these might give reasons for their favorite but, I think it's just a personal choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.