Power Catamaran play boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hotrdd, Sep 4, 2014.

1. hotrdd

hotrdd Junior Member

I’ve had a fascination with power catamarans since I was a kid. Years ago I even started designing one but I have no idea what happened to all of my work. Somehow life got in the way and I lost some time. It also didn’t help that I moved from the Great Lakes to Alberta where the lakes aren’t so great. But recently after doing a bunch of bikes and cars I have started to think more about boating and I’m considering a long term plan of trying to build a boat again. I have a HUGE shop and have all of the required tools for any direction I want to go so skills and tools are not a concern. The question is what to build and design and what materials to use.

I’m thinking of something small between 21’-27’ that I can use on calm lakes. Biggest waves I’ve seen here are only 2-3 feet. But I’m thinking of a catamaran that I could also us for fishing, tubing with the kids and possible some other water play. I really just want something different than everyone else. I just need an idea what designs and boats styles to start looking at.

Besides the weird wakes. Why aren’t people using catamarans for skiing and tubing? Has anyone ever done a wood catamaran hmmmm.

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

3. hotrdd

hotrdd Junior Member

Thanks. I’ll definitely take a look.

At first glance these look like they are a little bigger than what I am looking for. I definitely need it to be easily trailer-able as I don’t have real water anywhere close by. That means a 2-5 hr. pull every time it goes in the water.

4. hotrdd

hotrdd Junior Member

5. hotrdd

hotrdd Junior Member

Anyone have any idea where to start with finding some plans?

6. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Recommend Richard Woods Designs.

- Different than most of the other boats on the lake

- Fun. Read his cruising blog about his trip in the power cat. It's got enough power to pull a tuber.

- Economical.

Gas prices aren't going down. In a few years when other boats are parked in the garage you'll feel good having a Woods powercat on the water. You won't have to have guilt pushing it to full throttle or worry you only have a few more years of being able to run it.

7. Edwardn

Edwardn Junior Member

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I remember reading about this lady who skied behind Thunderbird ... it may have helped to get a lot of that out of her system. :)

PS: I'm still thinking a coin-op throttle on a high power boat might be a selling point to frugal owners with gas happy relatives....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.